Exuding confidence that India's space programme will soar fresh heights under new ISRO chief K Radhakrishnan, its outgoing chairman G Madhavan Nair today said his successor will be able to carry forward the agency's plans, including the most challenging manned moon mission to space.
"He (Radhakrishnan) is a talented and highly competent scientist. He knows things as he has been there in ISRO for 35 years. He will be able to carry forward our plans. We have drawn up plans for 2020-25," Nair told reporters at the airport here in the presence of Radhakrishnan.
Radhakrishnan, Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, has been appointed the Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in Bangalore. He will succeed Nair, who is retiring at the end of this month.
"A major challenge before ISRO is the manned mission (to space). We have to gear up for that," Nair said.
Nair, who headed the space agency during a crucial period marked by big achievements, including India's maiden moon mission Chandrayaan-I, said the surge of ISRO was like a relay race and the baton was now being handed over to his successor.
"There was Vikram Sarabhai... Then Rao...Kasturi Rangan... All eminent scientists. Now I am handing over the baton to Radhakrishnan," he said.
Asked about his retirement plans, Nair said, "A scientist never retires. Some projects will come by my way. I will work on them."
New ISRO Chief Highly Competent: Nair
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Relentless PV Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test, Day 4 LIVE: Rahane-Vihari Stand Grows; India's Lead Past 300
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- 3rd Test: Stokes Sets Ashes On Fire With Heroic Ton As ENG Level Series
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India