Nepal's major political parties today staked competing claims to lead a national government as the main opposition named Sher Bahadur Deuba as its prime ministerial candidate while Maoist party endorsed Baburam Bhattarai to lead a coalition.
"Nepali Congress will field former Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba as the candidate for Prime Minister," said Bimalendra Nidhi, a member of the party's powerful central committee after an informal meeting.
Nepal's two largest parties - UCPN-Maioist and Nepali Congress -- plan to hold talks with other parties to cobble together a coalition, but have claimed the right to lead a national unity government.
Nepali Congress has underlined the need to form a government under its leadership as both the Maoist party and the CPN-UML have already led a coalition after the Constituent Assembly elections held in 2008.
"We will try to form a national consensus government under Deuba's leadership, Nidhi said, underlining that there is no alternative to the national consensus government to move forward the peace process and the constitution drafting process.
The UCPN-Maoist, the largest party in Parliament, has nominated party Vice Chairman Bhattarai as its candidate to lead a coalition.
The meeting of the party office bearers held at its headquarters in Paris Danda today decided to take initiatives to form a Maoist-led national consensus government, C P Gajurel, Secretary of the UCPN-Maoist told reporters.
However, senior Nepali Congress leader Arjun Narsingh Khatri Chhetri underlined that the Maoists cannot be entrusted with the leadership of a coalition as the task of rehabilitation and integration of the former Maoist combatants with the security forces are yet to be completed.
Nepalese Parties Stake Claim to PM's Post
Shirish B Pradhan/Kathmandu
THE LATEST ISSUE
- The Nitty Gritties Of Investigating Hathras Rape
- MI Vs RR: Suryakumar, Bumrah Set Up Massive Win
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- Covid-19 Virus Can Infect People More Than Six Feet Away: CDC
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Innocent Or Framed? Who’s The Real Rhea Chakraborty?
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four In Alwar Gangrape Case
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Atal Tunnel Opens Avenues Of Innovation In Tourism
- French Open: Thiem Stunned In 5-hour Epic As Schwartzman Enters Semis
- Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana
- How Is De-Globalization An Opportunity For India?
- No Need To Panic: Steve Smith