Nepal will act as a "friendship bridge" between India and China rather than just being a "buffer state" between the two giant neighbours, Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai said today.
57-year-old Bhattarai, who belongs to the Maoist party, stated this while addressing Parliament for the first time after assuming the top post.
"Nepal will no longer regard itself as a buffer state between India and China," the Prime Minister said.
This country will act as a "friendship bridge between India and China," he said, ahead of his departure to New York to attend the UN General Assembly's annual session on September 18.
Bhattarai said his government "is committed to performing its three major tasks: taking the peace process to the logical end within three months, preparing the draft of the new Constitution and providing relief to the poor people."
For this "I will seek cooperation from all the political parties," the Prime Minister said.
"All the political parties should move ahead in unison to conclude the peace process and timely drafting of the statute."
Bhattarai said his government has unveiled an 11-point "Immediate Relief Programme, 2011" for the backward, minority communities and conflict-victims, among others.
"If we cannot move ahead by forging consensus to rescue the country from the present transitional period we cannot save ourselves from a political catastrophe," he warned.
'Nepal to Act As Friendship Bridge Between India, China'
Shirish B Pradhan/Kathmandu
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Disqualify 20 AAP MLAs For Holding 'Office Of Profit': EC
- Appeal Challenging Acquittal Of Mahmood Farooqui Rejected
- SC Rejects Plea To Cancel CBFC Certificate
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth