As Nepal's warring parties scrambled to form a national unity government, President Ram Baran Yadav today gave five more days to them to strike a deal, the third such extension to the original November 29 deadline.
The President announced the extension of the deadline this morning when top leaders of three major political parties and the Joint Madhesi Front
(JMF) called on him and held consultations at Rashtrapati Bhawan, a source at Yadav's office said.
UCPN (Maoist) Chairman Prachanda, whose party is currently heading the caretaker government, and main opposition Nepali Congress President Sushil
Koirala, CPN-UML Chairman Jhala Nath Khanal and Deputy Prime Minister Bijaya Kumar Gachhadar of the Joint Madeshi Front were present in the meeting.
During the meeting, the President urged the leaders to come up with a consensus candidate for Prime Minister to head the national unity government within the now extended deadline.
Nepal has been facing a political crisis since May as the Constituent Assembly was dissolved without drafting a Constitution and the fresh election could not be held as promised by Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai by November 22.
Prachanda went to the Rashtrapati Bhawan yesterday also and requested the President to extend the deadline again, assuring that the parties had inched closer to consensus for forming a national government.
Nepal Prez Extends Deadline to Form National Unity Govt
Shirish B Pradhan/Kathmandu
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Who Next? The Big Fear Troubling Congress After Chidambaram’s Arrest
- Chidambaram Sent To CBI Custody Till August 26 In INX Media Case
- OPINION | Puppets On A Chain, Kashmir's 'Pro-India' Parties NC, PDP Dug Their Own Grave
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- ISRO Releases First Image Of Moon Captured By Chandrayaan-2
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- INX Media: The Case That Led To Chidambaram's Downfall
- Chidambaram Spends Night At CBI Headquarters Whose Inauguration He Attended In 2011
- Will Swap 100 Acres Of Land For Ravidas Temple Construction: Kejriwal After Protesters Swarm Delhi
- Badminton Worlds: Sindhu, Praneeth Enter Quarters; Srikanth, Prannoy Out
- Oil Companies Stop Fuel Supply To Air India At Six Airports Due To Non-payment Of Dues
- Live, West Indies v India, 1st Test, Day 1, Antigua
- Rajiv Gandhi Got Massive Mandate In 1984, But Didn’t Use It To Create Atmosphere Of Fear: Sonia Gandhi
- Demonising Modi All The Time Won't Help, It's Time We Recognise His Work: Jairam Ramesh