India were dealt a blow ahead of tomorrow's World Cup final against Sri Lanka here with skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni saying that pacer Ashish Nehra is "most likely" out of the match due to a fractured right-hand finger.
There was widespread speculation over Nehra's fitness and Dhoni said the lanky pacer, who returned impressive figures of 2/33 in the semifinal against Pakistan, was virtually out of reckoning.
"Nehra is most likely ruled out. He has got multiple fractures (in his right hand finger)," Dhoni said at the pre-match press conference.
But opener Gautam Gambhir, who left the field during Pakistan's innings due to a hamstring problem, is expected to be fit for the final.
"Gautam looks right now. He is most likely to be fit for the game," was Dhoni's response when asked about the left-hander's fitness status.
Nehra picked up the injury while attempting a catch against Pakistan when fielding at deep midwicket. He hurt himself while trying to pick up a pull by Shahid Afridi off Yuvraj Singh's bowling.
Nehra had missed the first two matches of the event due to a sore back. He went for 65 runs in 8.4 overs against South Africa in a group game after coming back.
He was then left out for India's next two games, before making a comeback in the semifinals.
Nehra Most Likely Ruled Out but Gambhir Fit: Dhoni
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Relentless PV Sindhu Smashes Okuhara, 1st Indian To Win World Badminton Title
- Arun Jaitley Cremated With State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- WI Vs IND, 1st Test, Day 4 LIVE: Rahane-Vihari Stand Grows; India's Lead Past 300
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- PM Modi Arrives In France For G7 Summit, Will Speak On Global Issues
- Rahul Gandhi Shares Video Of Srinagar Visit, Attacks 'Draconian Administration' Of Jammu And Kashmir
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan' Month
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians... But Now Govt Has Changed Everything’
- Watch: Kashmiri Woman Meets Rahul Gandhi On Flight From Srinagar, Shares J&K's Ordeal
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Stokes Hits Chanceless Ton As ENG Eye Improbable Win
- Brazil Deploys 44,000 Troops To Fight Amazon Fires Amid International Outcry
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India