India were dealt a blow ahead of tomorrow's World Cup final against Sri Lanka here with skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni saying that pacer Ashish Nehra is "most likely" out of the match due to a fractured right-hand finger.
There was widespread speculation over Nehra's fitness and Dhoni said the lanky pacer, who returned impressive figures of 2/33 in the semifinal against Pakistan, was virtually out of reckoning.
"Nehra is most likely ruled out. He has got multiple fractures (in his right hand finger)," Dhoni said at the pre-match press conference.
But opener Gautam Gambhir, who left the field during Pakistan's innings due to a hamstring problem, is expected to be fit for the final.
"Gautam looks right now. He is most likely to be fit for the game," was Dhoni's response when asked about the left-hander's fitness status.
Nehra picked up the injury while attempting a catch against Pakistan when fielding at deep midwicket. He hurt himself while trying to pick up a pull by Shahid Afridi off Yuvraj Singh's bowling.
Nehra had missed the first two matches of the event due to a sore back. He went for 65 runs in 8.4 overs against South Africa in a group game after coming back.
He was then left out for India's next two games, before making a comeback in the semifinals.
Nehra Most Likely Ruled Out but Gambhir Fit: Dhoni
THE LATEST ISSUE
- India Sees Slight Dip In Covid Daily Count: Records 3,66,161 New Cases And 3,754 Deaths
- 34 Aligarh Muslim University Professors Succumb To Covid-19 In Last 18 Days
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- Himanta Biswa Sarma Takes Oath As The CM Of Assam, Here Are The Names Of Other Ministers
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Covid: What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection?
- UP: Seven Held For Stealing Clothes Off Bodies And Selling Them
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Dramatic Draw Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly