Observing that Navy is prepared to tackle 26/11-type attack from outfits such as LeT, Admiral Nirmal Verma today said the "core concern" of the maritime force was about the coalescing of state and non-state actors.
"The way we have prepared ourselves, we have always presumed this (a terror attack from sea). Even before (key 26/11 handler) Abu Jundal said this, we had always assumed that there would be such preparations on their side and that has been factored in our preparations," he said here.
The Navy chief was asked about the preparation of the force to tackle 26/11-type attack in wake of revelations by Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist Jundal that the terror organisation had reactivated its maritime wing.
Navy has prepared itself by strengthening its capabilities and coordinating with stakeholders including fishermen who were its "eyes and ears", Verma, who is retiring in the end of this month, told a farewell press conference.
On tackling a 2008 Mumbai-type strike, he said, "There will always remain uncertainties and adversaries but on our part it is intended to ensure that the levels of asymmetry are never such that they encourage adventurism."
He said, "Terrorism from the sea and terrorism at sea are now realities of our times and in our external environment one of our core concerns is the coalescing of the state with non-state entities, both of which, individually, in collaboration or as hybrid create a high degree of uncertainty.
"Our maritime strategy intends to ensure that there is no schism between the challenges that we face and our capabilities to respond to them," he said.
He also said that the "plague" of piracy around Indian island territories and Gulf of Aden has been "arrested" to a significant extent.
Navy Prepared to Deal With 26/11-Type Terror Strike: Verma
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly