Observing that Navy is prepared to tackle 26/11-type attack from outfits such as LeT, Admiral Nirmal Verma today said the "core concern" of the maritime force was about the coalescing of state and non-state actors.
"The way we have prepared ourselves, we have always presumed this (a terror attack from sea). Even before (key 26/11 handler) Abu Jundal said this, we had always assumed that there would be such preparations on their side and that has been factored in our preparations," he said here.
The Navy chief was asked about the preparation of the force to tackle 26/11-type attack in wake of revelations by Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist Jundal that the terror organisation had reactivated its maritime wing.
Navy has prepared itself by strengthening its capabilities and coordinating with stakeholders including fishermen who were its "eyes and ears", Verma, who is retiring in the end of this month, told a farewell press conference.
On tackling a 2008 Mumbai-type strike, he said, "There will always remain uncertainties and adversaries but on our part it is intended to ensure that the levels of asymmetry are never such that they encourage adventurism."
He said, "Terrorism from the sea and terrorism at sea are now realities of our times and in our external environment one of our core concerns is the coalescing of the state with non-state entities, both of which, individually, in collaboration or as hybrid create a high degree of uncertainty.
"Our maritime strategy intends to ensure that there is no schism between the challenges that we face and our capabilities to respond to them," he said.
He also said that the "plague" of piracy around Indian island territories and Gulf of Aden has been "arrested" to a significant extent.
Navy Prepared to Deal With 26/11-Type Terror Strike: Verma
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Three Accidents In Atal Rohtang Tunnel In 72 Hours Since Inauguration
- Coal Scam: Court Convicts Former Union Minister Dilip Ray, Others
- How Axar Patel Caught RCB In Web Of Spin
- Junior Commissioned Officer Killed In Shelling Along LoC: Army
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Pompeo To Meet Jaishankar In Tokyo
- Dr. Reddy's Asked To Submit Revised Protocol For Sputnik V Vaccine Trials
- US President Donald Trump Returns To The White House
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle
- Life As A Dalit - A Curse In Casteist India
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli