Navy's strike capabilities received a boost as the second indigenously-built stealth warship, INS Satpura, was inducted into operational service here today.
The second of the three-ship Project-17 Shivalik Class frigate, INS Satpura was commissioned by Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma.
Defence Minister AK Antony was scheduled to commission the ship but could not do so as he is indisposed, the Navy chief said.
Built by the state-owned Mazagon Dockyards Limited, INS Satpura is a 143-metre-long warship with 6,200-tonne displacement.
The lead ship of this category, INS Shivalik, was commissioned into the Navy in April last year.
Shivalik class warships can deal with multiple threat environment and are fitted with weapon suite comprising both area and point defence systems.
It has sensors for air, surface and sub-surface surveillance, electronic support and counter equipment and decoys for soft kill measures.
The third Shivalik class vessel, INS Sahyadri, is expected to be ready for commissioning by next year.
Being inducted six to seven months behind schedule, the warship is equipped with a mix of imported and indigenous weapon systems and sensors, including Barak surface-to-air missiles, 'Shtil' air defence system, rapid fire guns and basic anti-submarine warfare weapons.
The ship is powered by one each of US-origin LM-2500 gas turbine engine and SEMT Pielstick diesel engine.
Navy Gets a Boost With INS Satpura Stealth Warship
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly