Indian Navy is in the process of field evaluation trials as part of its upgradation of choppers Sea King and Kamov in its fleet, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said today.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of Annual General Meeting of Navy Foundation here, Admiral Verma said, "We are in the process of field evaluation trials. If they go on well, I hope, within the financial year we will be signing contracts for them. The upgrade will vary between 30 to 40 per cent of the costs of the new aircraft. If you can extend the life for 10 years or so,it makes a huge difference in my view."
A "new platform costs a lot of money and across the board, whether it is ship assets or aviation assets, we (Navy) try to extend the life to the extent possible", he said.
Expressing hope that aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya from Russia will be delivered as expected in December next year, he said "as the system which has to move to sea, it has been tested completely in harbour. We have to now take the ship out to sea, and there are some pressures of the winter coming in, because of the seas freeze and it is difficult to carry out the trials.But at this point it is within contractual limit which require the ship to be delivered in December next year."
On the security issues between India and China, he said "I think the borders between the two countries are tranquil,which is a good sign. As far the issue of different perception, there is a joint working group which is there. They are senior representatives from either side. From our side, we have the NSA. They would engage in dialogue to see how best to find a way ahead in this."
Lauding the level of awareness of coastal security in Tamil Nadu, Verma said, "particularly states like Tamil Nadu, they have been exposed to what can happen from the sea from late 80s and 90s. So, the level of awareness here is much greater and what needs to be done. To that extent, I would say that, this has been a model state on coastal security."
Earlier he called on Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah.
Navy Field Evaluates Upgraded Choppers
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- Lalu Yadav Will Not Be Able To Campaign In Bihar Polls Despite Getting Bail
- SRH Vs KXIP: Rashid Khan Reflects On Damage Scoreboard Pressure Can Do
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- RBI Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged At 4%, Says Governor Shaktikanta Das
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- Piyush Goyal Gets Additional Charge After Paswan's Death
- French Open: Teen Sensation Swiatek Storms Into Maiden Grand Slam Final
- How Ram Vilas Paswan's Death May Impact Bihar Assembly Elections
- 'BJP To Rule For 30-Years, If People Hang Vivekananda's Picture:' Biplab
- Republic TV Among 3 Channels Being Probed For TRP Manipulation
- Cricket Australia Should Not Bow Down To BCCI: Allan Border Slams CA