Indian Navy is in the process of field evaluation trials as part of its upgradation of choppers Sea King and Kamov in its fleet, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said today.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of Annual General Meeting of Navy Foundation here, Admiral Verma said, "We are in the process of field evaluation trials. If they go on well, I hope, within the financial year we will be signing contracts for them. The upgrade will vary between 30 to 40 per cent of the costs of the new aircraft. If you can extend the life for 10 years or so,it makes a huge difference in my view."
A "new platform costs a lot of money and across the board, whether it is ship assets or aviation assets, we (Navy) try to extend the life to the extent possible", he said.
Expressing hope that aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya from Russia will be delivered as expected in December next year, he said "as the system which has to move to sea, it has been tested completely in harbour. We have to now take the ship out to sea, and there are some pressures of the winter coming in, because of the seas freeze and it is difficult to carry out the trials.But at this point it is within contractual limit which require the ship to be delivered in December next year."
On the security issues between India and China, he said "I think the borders between the two countries are tranquil,which is a good sign. As far the issue of different perception, there is a joint working group which is there. They are senior representatives from either side. From our side, we have the NSA. They would engage in dialogue to see how best to find a way ahead in this."
Lauding the level of awareness of coastal security in Tamil Nadu, Verma said, "particularly states like Tamil Nadu, they have been exposed to what can happen from the sea from late 80s and 90s. So, the level of awareness here is much greater and what needs to be done. To that extent, I would say that, this has been a model state on coastal security."
Earlier he called on Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah.
Navy Field Evaluates Upgraded Choppers
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly