Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) today slammed Omar Abdullah led-Jammu and Kashmir government over the detention of rights' activist Gautam Navlakha.
"By denying liberty to prominent human rights activist and columnist Gautam Naulakha to enter the state, the government had sent a shrill message across," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti told party workers at Mirgund in Pattan area of Baramulla district.
She claimed the step indicates a sense of insecurity that the present government suffers from.
Gautam Navlakha, a frequent traveller to the Valley for the last two decades, has written extensively about alleged human rights violations in the state and is consulting editor of a leading magazine. He was detained at Srinagar Airport on May 28 under section 144 CrPC.
Referring to remarks of Union minister Farooq Abdullah threatening action against celebrated author Arundhati Roy if she came to Kashmir, Mehbooba said the streak of intolerance runs through the entire NC leadership.
"I had vainly hoped him to advise tolerance to his son but Farooq sahib has gone a step ahead by damning the writer and books that expose his party's misdeeds in Kashmir," she said.
Navlakha Detention: Mehbooba Slams Omar, Farooq
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed, 3 Injured In Terrorist Attack In South Kashmir’s Pampore
- CBI Carries Out Searches At Congress Leader DK Shivakumar's Premises
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- RCB Vs DC: Battle Of Equals In Dubai
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- IAF Well Positioned To Deal With Any Threat: Air Chief RKS Bhadauria
- JEE-Advanced Results Announced, Pune Boy Chirag Falor Tops Exam
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- Noida Police Apologises For Manhandling Priyanka, Orders Probe
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Hathras Case: Protests Staged At Times Square
- EPL Champions Liverpool Concede Seven Goals For First Time In 57 Years