Navin Chawla today took over as the new Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) succeeding N Gopalaswami, who not long ago had recommended his removal from Nirvachan Sadan sparking a huge political controversy.
Power Secretary V S Sampath also took over as the third Election Commissioner following the elevation of Chawla.
64-year-old Chawla, who was the senior-most Election Commissioner after Gopalaswami in the three-member panel, will remain in office till June 29 next year when he turns 65.
The Chief Election Commissioner, a Constitutional post, enjoys a term of six years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
He is the first CEC, who took over in the midst of a five-phased Lok Sabha elections and will oversee four phases of the polls.
The elevation of Chawla, who was appointed as Election Commissioner on May 13, 2005, comes after a controversy triggered by Gopalaswami's recommendation to the President for his removal from office for alleged partisan functioning.
The government had not only turned down Gopalswami's recommendation but had even announced on March four that Chawla would succeed him as CEC.
While demitting office yesterday after an eventful stint, Goplaswami wished Chawla "a very bright tenure".
Chawla had earlier served in various capacities in the government during his chequered career, the last being Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
He has also served as Secretary to the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Chawla was secretary to the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi at the time of Emergency.
He has authored a number of books, including an authorised biography of Mother Teresa which became popular internationally.
Chawla is also a recipient of the Italian government's Mazzini Award, instituted in honour of writer Giuseppe Mazzini, for his contribution to promoting ties between India and Italy.
Navin Chawla Takes Over as CEC
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly