Paying tribute to legendary Pakistani poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz at his birth centenary celebrations, actor Naseeruddin Shah and Ustad Shujaat Khan today enchanted lovers of poetry and classical music at a soiree here.
Highlighting the emotional energy of Faiz's literary work, Naseeruddin's recitation of Urdu poems was interwoven with ghazals sung by the eminent vocalist Shujaat.
Faiz's daughter Salima Hashmi, also a prominent writer and painter, introduced her father's work through his poetry and ghazals at Town Hall.
Organised by the Apeejay Trusts, the third edition of the Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF) is celebrating the rich legacy of Faiz.
The occasion showed how the poet drew attention towards the complexities of love by adopting a rich style with fresh metaphors and an idiomatic touch.
"It is an honour for me to present his works before the people here. I do not know much about poetry. But I like the works of Ghalib and Faiz," said Naseeruddin.
Salima recalled that her father, who was himself a Communist intellectual, had a very special relationship with Kolkata.
"He had once told me that his ghazals find the best of audience not in Lucknow but in Kolkata," she said.
Pakistan High Commissioner to India Shahid Malik said, "Today even his adversaries find solace in his words. His poems still provide hope to find a way to move out of the present political crisis the world is facing."
Regarded as the most popular modern poet that Pakistan has ever produced, Faiz was the first Asian to receive the Lenin Peace Prize and also awarded the Lotus Prize for Literature in 1976.
Earlier in the day, film lovers got an unique opportunity to watch the 1958 historic movie Jago Hua Savera, which has dialogues and songs by Faiz.
Naseeruddin Shah Pays Tribute to Faiz Ahmed Faiz
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly