Veteran film personality Govind Moonis, who had directed Hindi movies like Nadiya Ke Paar, passed away here on Wednesday due to old age.
He was 80, family sources said.
Moonis started his film career as an assistant to noted filmmaker Ritwik Ghatak in the early 1950s with Nagarik.
Later, he came to Mumbai in 1953 and assisted Satyen Bose in all his films, first as an assistant to him and then as a dialogue, screenplay writer and occasionally as a lyricist.
These movies include Jagriti, Bandish, Masoom, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Dosti for which Moonis got the Filmfare award as the best dialogue writer.
Other movies were Aasra, Mere Lal, Raat Aur Din, Aansoo Ban Gaye Phool, Jeevan Mrityu.
Besides, he has also written dialogue for Uphar and some films for Rajshri Productions, who then gave Moonis the opportunity to direct their Nadiya Ke Paar. The same movie, decades later, was remade as Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, one of the biggest blockbusters of Bollywood.
Earlier, he had directed one Bhojpuri film called Mitwa.
Among his other directorial ventures were Sasural, Bandhan Baahon Ka, and Babu.
Moonis also wrote screenplay for television series. His last film as dialogue writer was Dil Churaya Aapne, which is yet to be released.
The last movie directed by Govind Moonis is a Bhojpuri film Ganga Jaisan Pawan Piritiya Hamar.
'Nadiya Ke Paar' Director Moonis Passes Away
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As India Boycotts Pak Day Celebrations China Helps Pakistan Avoid Embarrassment
- Imran Khan Tweets PM Modi's Greetings On Pakistan Day As India Boycotts Event In Delhi
- Let ‘Yeddyurappa Diaries’ Be First Case To Be Investigated By Lokpal: Congress
- Even Narendra Modi Is In Awe Of This Naveen Patnaik Confidant
- Sidelined By Party, Is Advani Headed For Rajya Sabha?
- The Deteriorating State Of Modern Music
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Solskjaer’s Magical Case For Manchester United Exceptionalism
- Gambhir's Patriotism Makes Him Ideal Choice For BJP. Here Are Some Of His Mercurial Quotes
- After Boycott By India, Guests At Pakistan Day Event Allege Harassment By Police
- Lok Sabha Elections: In Bihar
, Congress Gets 9, RJD 20
- Reports On Increase In Unemployment Data Are Fake: KJ Alphons
- Sam Pitroda Questions Death Toll In Balakot Airstrike, Bats For Dialogue With Pakistan
- Kerala: Same Old Rivalry On Cards Despite BJP Eyeing An Upset Or Two
- IPL 2019 Curtain Raiser: Amid World Cup Disquiet, Cricket Gets Ready For Annual Carnival
- BJP's First List Of Candidates Has A Message For Opposition Parties