Veteran film personality Govind Moonis, who had directed Hindi movies like Nadiya Ke Paar, passed away here on Wednesday due to old age.
He was 80, family sources said.
Moonis started his film career as an assistant to noted filmmaker Ritwik Ghatak in the early 1950s with Nagarik.
Later, he came to Mumbai in 1953 and assisted Satyen Bose in all his films, first as an assistant to him and then as a dialogue, screenplay writer and occasionally as a lyricist.
These movies include Jagriti, Bandish, Masoom, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi, Dosti for which Moonis got the Filmfare award as the best dialogue writer.
Other movies were Aasra, Mere Lal, Raat Aur Din, Aansoo Ban Gaye Phool, Jeevan Mrityu.
Besides, he has also written dialogue for Uphar and some films for Rajshri Productions, who then gave Moonis the opportunity to direct their Nadiya Ke Paar. The same movie, decades later, was remade as Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, one of the biggest blockbusters of Bollywood.
Earlier, he had directed one Bhojpuri film called Mitwa.
Among his other directorial ventures were Sasural, Bandhan Baahon Ka, and Babu.
Moonis also wrote screenplay for television series. His last film as dialogue writer was Dil Churaya Aapne, which is yet to be released.
The last movie directed by Govind Moonis is a Bhojpuri film Ganga Jaisan Pawan Piritiya Hamar.
'Nadiya Ke Paar' Director Moonis Passes Away
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- It's Do-Or-Die Battle For Congress In Upcoming Assembly Elections
- Amritsar Tragedy Was An Incident Of Trespassing On Tracks, No Statutory Inquiry: Railway Board Chairman
- Encounter Breaks Out In JK's Kulgam, Soldier Injured
- Woman Allowed To Enter Sabarimala Temple Only After Proving She Is Above 50
- J&K ULB Polls: BJP Sweeps Jammu MC, Independents Single Largest Group In Kashmir
- Rail Apps: When A Train Ticket Examiner Left Passengers Speechless
- Durga Puja In Calcutta A Parable Of Life
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Obama Did Nothing About Russian Meddling In 2016 Presidential Polls, Says Donald Trump
- Four Himalayan Peaks Near Gangotri Named After Vajpayee
- A Tale Of Two Women Who Fell 18 Steps Short Of Sabarimala Shrine
- Denmark Open: Saina Nehwal Enters Final, Kidambi Srikanth Crashes Out
- I Have Every Right To Tweet, Says Subramanian Swamy As Cong Accuses Him Of 'Influencing' Herald Case
- Eight Tested Positive For Zika Virus, Cases Rise To 117 In Rajasthan
- IND Vs WI, 1st ODI, Preview: India's Countdown To 2019 World Cup Begins
- Caught On Camera: BJP Councilor Thrashes Police SI, Arrested