Mystery shrouds the murder of the 48-year-old BARC scientist, who was found dead in his South Mumbai flat, as police do not rule out the possibility that he was a gay and had become victim of a jilter lover.
"We are investigating the case from various angles including the one whether that the murder was a result of strained homosexual affair," said Investigating Officer K V Kale of Gamdevi police station.
Mahadevan Padmanabhan Iyer, a mechanical engineer working in the BARC's Reactor Group, was found murdered in his first floor apartment in the BARC quarters near Breach Candy Hospital on Monday night.
Iyer, a bachelor hailing from Tamil Nadu, was found lying on his bed with a rope tied around his neck, which bore injuries. He was also hit on his head with a blunt object.
The scientist had been working with Reactor Design and Development Division of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for over a decade.
Since there were no signs of struggle, nothing was stolen from the house and the door was locked from outside, police suspect the assailant was known to the deceased.
Iyer's mother told the police that her son did not believe in the institution of marriage. She stays with her daughter at Vasai in adjoining Thane district.
Three alcohol bottles were also found in the scientist's apartment, police said.
Iyer's neighbours were today questioned to ascertain who had frequently visited the deceased's house and who was last seen coming out of his residence, they added.
Police went through the log book of visitors kept with security guard at the building and also visited the BARC at Trombay to gather more information about Iyer.
Mystery Shrouds BARC Scientist's Murder
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Broad Daylight Murder Of Law, Democracy': Cong Lashes Out At Govt Over Chidambaram's Arrest
- With P. Chidambaram's Arrest, His Anticipatory Bail Plea Before SC Rendered Infructuous
- Never Met Peter Or Indrani Mukerjea, We Are Being Targeted: Karti Chidambaram
- Ravidas Temple Demolition Protest: Bhim Army Chief Chandrashekhar Azad Arrested In Delhi
- INX Media Case: 20 Questions CBI Asked P Chidambaram
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- India's Fresh Challenge On Kashmir: Engage With Donald Trump But Without Opening Another Front
- Etawah 'Ragging' Case: Police, VC Deny Medical Students Were Forced To Shave Heads
- March To Delhi Temple Demolition Site Was 'Personal Decision': Dalit Body
- Oppn Protests At Jantar Mantar, Demands Release Of Detained J&K Leaders
- MNS Chief Raj Thackeray To Appear Before ED Today In IL&FS Money Laundering Case
- NDA Candidate Against Rahul Gandhi In Wayanad Arrested In UAE
- Kohli Hints At Four-Bowler Strategy Vs WI
- Live, 1st Test, Day 1: SL Win Toss, Opt To Bat First Vs NZ