Opposition Presidential candidate P A Sangma today said his two daughters, Christie and Agatha, were named after prominent British novelist Agatha Christie, whose book was presented to him by the then Orissa chief minister Biju Patnaik.
"I named my two daughters after Agatha Christie. Biju Patnaik had presented me with a Agatha Christe book when I met him for the first time in 1977," Sangma told a gathering of BJD MLAs and MPs during his campaign trail here.
Sangma said he admired Biju Patnaik who was a friend of young MPs then. "I also admire Naveen. He too has the same courage," Sangma said.
While Sangma's younger daughter Agatha is the minister of state for Rural Development, his elder daughter Christie is a non-political person. Of his two sons, Conrad Sangma is the leader of Opposition in Meghalaya Assembly.
Naveen Patnaik's father Biju Patnaik had named Indonesia's president Megawati Sukarnoputri.
President Sukarno had requested Biju Patnaik to name his daughter who was born after the Patnaik, in his capacity as a fighter pilot, had rescued the Sukarno family in stormy weather and flew them to safety demonstrating extraordinary bravery.
My Daughters Named After Agatha Christie: Sangma
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Former Union Minister Arun Jaitley Dies, Tributes Pour In
- As Opposition Leaders Head To Srinagar, J&K Administration Says Visit Will Disturb Restoration of Peace
- MSD: Three Musketeers Who Engineered Kashmir's Bloodless Coup, But Are Their Plans Sustainable?
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Why Is Part Of The Amazon Burning?
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Donald Trump Hits Back At China With More Tariffs Amid Escalating Trade War
- PM Modi Arrives In UAE, To Receive Highest Civil Decoration
- 5 Maoists Killed, 2 Jawans Injured In Gunfight In Chhattisgarh
- Was Trying To Do My Best: Jadeja
- WATCH: Decoding What Nirmala Sitharaman's Announcements To Boost Economy Mean
- J&K's Integration Complete With Axing Of Article 370, Says Amit Shah
- Live, 2nd Test, Day 3: NZ Aim To Overcome SL Resilience, Trail By 243 Runs
- Sindhu Enters Semis At World Championships