Senior Congress leader and former Petroleum Minister Murli Deora took charge of the Corporate Affairs Ministry today.
Deora replaced Salman Khurshid, who now holds charge of the Water Resources Ministry and retains the additional charge of the Minority Affairs Ministry.
Khurshid handed over the charge to Deora in the presence of the Corporate Affairs Ministry's Secretary R Bandyopadhyay and other senior officers here.
Although Deora declined comments after taking the charge, the 74-year-old veteran maintained that he was familiar with the new portfolio.
"I'm a businessman, an industrialist. I know what is Corporate Affairs...Thoda gyaan hai, baki lelenge (I have some knowledge about Corporate Affairs, rest I will acquire)," Deora had told reporters yesterday after the Cabinet reshuffle.
He also said his priority would be to ensure enactment of the new company law in the forthcoming Budget session.
"I am very sure to get the new Companies Bill through in Parliament in the Budget session," Deora has said.
A Rajya Sabha member, Deora is an industrialist and social worker-turned-politician. He began his political career from the Bombay Municipal Corporation way back in 1968 when he was elected corporator. Later, in 1977, Deora was elected mayor of Mumbai.
He was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 2004 and was inducted in the Union Cabinet as Petroleum Minister in January 2006.
Murli Deora Takes Charge as Corporate Affairs Minister
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bengal Durga Puja Pandals No Go Zones, Rules Court, Health Experts Relieved
- CSK Vs RR: Buttler Keeps Rajasthan Afloat, Chennai Slide To Bottom
- Amid Border Standoff With China, Australia To Join Malabar Naval Exercise
- 'Harmful And Haphazard', Lawsuit Filed Against H1-B Regulations
- Medical Insurance Companies Wash Their Hands Of Covid Claims
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- CSK Didn't Turn Up This Season, Says Dejected Dhoni After 7th Defeat
- Fight To Restore Article 370 Will Go On Even If I’m Hanged, Says Farooq
- As Everything Goes Virtual In Pandemic, So Does Dating
- Indian-American Teen Wins $25,000 Prize For Potential COVID Treatment
- Vijay Sethupathi Withdraws From Muttiah Muralitharan Biopic
- Cinema Is Not A Welfare State: Pankaj Tripathi
- Why Punjab And Haryana Are The Hub Of Farmer Protests
- Messi's Form 'Could Be Better' But Koeman Has No Complaints