Corporate Affairs Minister Murli Deora's offer of resignation has fuelled further talk of a Cabinet reshuffle but questions have been raised whether it was linked to a recent CAG report indicting the Petroleum Ministry on "undue" favours to companies including Reliance.
The resignation offer by 74-year-old Deora made to Congress President Sonia Gandhi has come ahead of a possible reshuffle and that there are reports that he had pitched for inclusion of his son Milind Deora, MP from Mumbai, in the ministry.
But sources close to Deora said the resignation was not linked to a draft report of CAG that alleged that the oil ministry under him had granted undue favours to companies like Reliance Industries, sources close to him have said.
"He did not offer to resign because of any fear. He felt he had reached a stage where he will be happy to take party position if Congress President Sonia Gandhi so desires," the sources said today.
When he recently met Gandhi, Deora told her that he would be happy to resign if she and the party desires so, the sources said.
Terming his decision as "personal", the sources maintained that the leaked draft report of the CAG was in no way connected with his offer of resignation.
"The reports appearing are devoid of facts. Way back in 2007, it was Deora as the then Petroleum Minister asked CAG to audit accounts of private E&P operators. Statutorily, CAG cannot audit books of private companies but Deora made that special request," they said.
Murli Deora Quitting Due to CAG Indictment?
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: KL Reaches Fifty With Six; Punjab 141/2 (16)
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Rape: 'Scenario Created To Blame Govt', Says Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Piyush Goyal Inaugurates Kolkata's Phoolbagan Station
- Hathras Case: Editors Guild Condemns UP Govt For Obstructing Media
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- CM Kejriwal Set To Launch Mega Anti-Air Pollution Campaign
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris