Mohun Bagan scored through Marcos Pereiera to bounce back from a goal deficit to edge past hosts Shillong Lajong FC 2-1 in a round five I-League match today.
The local outfit drew first blood through a penalty conversion by Aibor Khongjee in the 54th minute.
Mohun Bagan found the equaliser through Edeh Chidi in the 63rd minute, while Marcos settled the issue in the 66th minute.
With five goals to his credit, Nigerian import Chidi has became the leading I-League scorer.
Having beaten arch-rivals East Bengal in their last match, Mohun Bagan thus registered their third straigth win to be with nine points from five matches.
With two wins and three losses, Lajong now have six points from five matches.
However, the newly-promoted side dominated proceedings in the entire first half of the game, with visiting Mohun Bagan finiding it difficult to adjust to the high-altitude and cold conditions.
The local team created a number of opportunities but could not convert any of those till after the breather when Khongjee made use of of a penalty.
Mohun Bagan midfielder Rakesh Masih brought down Lajong striker Seikhohoa Tuboi in the 53rd minute only to get a yellow card and referee awarded the penalty to the Shillong outfit. More
Khongjee took complete advantage of the penalty and ensured that the ball hit the net to give the crowd full worth for their money in a packed Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
But Mohun Bagan hit back and within next 10 minutes, its star striker Chidi found the net through an easy header in the 63rd minute.
Mohun Bagan increased the lead in the 66th minute when a stunning free-kick by Marcos settled the issue.
Lajong raided the rival citadel many a times but the Mohun Bagan defence, led by Deepak Mondal proved too strong for this new team.
A couple of chances were created but none of the teams could materialise.
Mohun Bagan picked up three points from the match to match the nine point tally of Mahindra United.
Mohun Bagan Defeat Shillong Lajong 2-1
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC: Vibrant Delhi Rout Bangalore By 59 Runs To Go Top Of Table
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli