By hoisting the national tricolour from the ramparts of the Red Fort for the ninth time in a row, Manmohan Singh today became the third Prime Minister to get the honour after Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.
Singh, who assumed office on May 22, 2009 for the second consecutive term, already has the distinction of being the third longest serving Prime Minister of the country after Nehru and his daughter Indira who ruled the country for 17 and 16 years respectively.
Singh's predecessor Atal Bihari Vajpayee had hoisted the tricolour from the Red Fort six times from 1998 to 2003.
The historic Mughal monument has seen Nehru, the first Prime Minister of independent India, unfurling the national flag 17 times. He was followed by his daughter Indira Gandhi, who got the honour 16 times.
Nehru first hoisted the tricolour at the Red Fort on August 15, 1947 after India became independent.
Singh, the country's 14th Prime Minister, first hoisted the tricolour on August 15, 2004, nearly four months after he assumed office in May.
MMS Third PM to Hoist Flag at Red Fort for 9th Time
THE LATEST ISSUE
- After Cong Leader's Move On Covid Orphans, Himachal Govt Comes Out With Scheme
- Elections: Why India Deserves Freedom From Family Rule
- Kerala Dalit Leader To Be Devaswom Board Minister
- Changes To Covid Treatment Protocol Shows India’s Intellectual Slavery To The West: Experts
- BJP Lost Bengal, But It Has Grown Among Oppressed Castes
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- BJP Raising ‘Fake Toolkit’ Issue To Divert Attention: Congress
- Govt Hikes Subsidy On DAP Fertiliser By 140%; Farmers To Get It At Old Rate
- Cyclone Tauktae: PM Modi Announces Rs 1,000-Crore Aid
- First Bloom Of Lotus: BJP Marks Its Presence In Periyar's Land
- How Will Bollywood Moguls Recover From Corona's Double Whammy?
- 'Can Relate To ‘Sardar Ka Grandson’ As Grandparents Came From Pak'
- Sports Ministry Approaches MEA To Get UK Visa For Sania Mirza's Son
- Asia Cup Cricket In Sri Lanka Called Off Due To Rising COVID-19 Cases