India's Ambassador to the United States Nirupama Rao today said the "miasma of terrorism" that is engulfing Pakistan and continuing to target and endanger Indian citizens besides the "difficult" situation in Afghanistan are among the challenges facing the region.
"Our region faces many challenges. The difficult situation concerning Afghanistan is one of them as well as the miasma of terrorism that is engulfing Pakistan and has targeted and endangered and continues to target and endanger our own citizens," she said.
Delivering her address at the convocation of Pondicherry University, she said "our primary focus has to be on our region and how we marginalize and overcome those forces that do not not want our region to grow and prosper, do not want education of our girl children or women`s empowerment and those forces that seek prolonging rather than the solution of issues that divide us."
Rao, who was conferred the Honorary Degree of Letters (Honoris Causa) on the occasion, said India has vital relationships with the US, Europe, Russia and Japan, built on priorities determined by national interest.
"With China, our largest neighbour, it is important that we continue to transact a well-calibrated relationship, conscious of the enormously complex nature of our ties and therefore always guided by mature judgment and long-range vision`.
She said this was not a sign of weakness as some make it out to be and it was an approach dictated by "sober assessments". "Emotional complexes cannot be a driving force in foreign policy`, she contended.
The Ambassador said India would move at a pace that is dictated by its own needs.
"Prescriptive approaches cannot be applied to India. There must be understanding of the challenges we face and our determination to overcome them," she said.
Former Chief Justice of India, Justice M N Venkatchaliah, was also conferred the Honorary Doctorate.
Lt Governor Iqbal Singh, Minister of State in the PMO V.Narayanasamy and Vice-Chancellor of the University J A K Tareen were among those present.
Miasma of Terrorism in Pak Endangering India: Nirupama
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- 'Little Room For Judicial Interference': Centre To Supreme Court On Vaccine Policy
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- Dramatic Equaliser Not Enough To Keep Title In Real's Hands
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly