PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti and her eight party MLAs were today detained when they took out a protest march against the death of two women in Shopian in violation of prohibitory orders in the city.
Mehbooba along with her party MLAs Maulvi Iftikhar Hussain Ansari, Abdul Rehman Veeri, Nizamuddin bhat, Syed Basharat Bukhari, Mohammad Khalil Band, Syed Bashir Ahmad, Sartaj Madani and Mohammad Rafi besides some party activists were detained while they were returning to the party headquarters after marching on the streets of the city, official sources said.
PDP leaders carrying playcards with slogans like revoke armed forces special powers act (AFSPA), resolve Kashmir issue, punish the killers of two women of Shopian and we want justice, took out a procession from party headquarters near Emporium Garden and marched on the streets of Lal Chowk and Budshah Chowk.
However, at Koker Bazar and Maisuma, some youths pelted stones at the PDP leaders following which policemen chased the stone-pelting mobs.
Kashmir has been rocked by protests over the death of two women under mysterious circumstances in Shopian last week.
Despite the stone pelting, Mehbooba and her party leaders continued their protest march.
At Lal Chowk, the never centre of the city, Mehbooba addressing the gathering, rejected the judicial probe ordered by the government into the Shopian double murder case.
"It appears the state government had made up its mind to absolve the security forces of the charges of rape and murder of the two women. What is the fun of the judicial probe when Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has ruled out rape of the victims," she said.
Mehbooba alleged that the statement of the kins of the victims were not taken into consideration by police, which dismissed the case at the first instance as a case of drowning.
"The judicial inquiry will probe the greater aspects of the case but police, as per law, should file an FIR based on the statement of the kins of the victims," Mehbooba said.
She said she and her party activists were not allowed to visit Shopian to express sympathy with the bereaved family.
The PDP president also criticised the government for imposing undeclared curfew in the valley and placing Hurriyat leaders under house arrest.
As the PDP leaders were returning to party headquarters, police took them into preventive custody and lodged them at Kothibagh police station.
Mehbooba Mufti, 8 PDP MLAs Detained
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Is Trudeau Being Cold-Shouldered By PM Narendra Modi?
- Using Credit Card To Add Money To Paytm? Silent Policy Change Locks Up Customers’ Money
- Murder Accused Posts Videos From Jail
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Wink-Girl Priya Varrier Moves Supreme Court To Stay Criminal Proceedings Against 'Manikya Malar' Song
- PNB Fraud Case: Mumbai PNB Bank Branch Sealed
- Maharashtra Will Soon Become India's First Trillion-Dollar State, Says PM Modi
- Mother, Daughter Tonsured, Forced To Eat Human Excreta For 'Practising Witchcraft'