Human Rights activists, including Medha Patkar and documentary film-maker Gopal Menon, were arrested here today for defying prohibitory orders and trying to enter Lalgarh where security forces are carrying out operations against Maoists.
Menon and some mediapersons were also beaten up, some activists alleged.
The activists were arrested under Sections 151 and Sections 188 of the CrPC at Debra, 35 km from Midnapore town, as they were trying to enter Lalgarh where prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC are in force, police said.
"I vomited thrice. Doctors fear I might have suffered some internal haemorrhage and they have referred me to a hospital in Kolkata," Menon, a national award winner, told PTI.
Patkar told PTI they had stopped at Debra which is nearly 80 km away from Lalgarh. "There is no justification in stopping us here," she said.
Police said a total of 11 persons have been arrested.
"The police not only arrested us, but also beat up some of our members mercilessly. We have not come here to break the law. Why is the police stopping us from moving freely in an independent democratic country?" Patkar wondered.
She said the police had asked them to accept a conditional bail, but they refused.
West Midnapore District Magistrate Narayan Swarup Nigam said he is looking into the matter.
Medha Patkar Held for Defying Prohibitory Orders
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Bihar: Corpses Of Suspected Covid-19 Victims Found Floating In Ganga River
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine