The special MCOCA court on Monday rejected the bail application of gangster-turned-politician Arun Gawli, arrested in connection with a Shiv Sena leader's murder and extortion case.
Special MCOCA judge R G Avachat rejected Gawli's bail application observing that there is evidence against him in both the cases and that the stringent provisions of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) is applicable on him.
Gawli in his bail application, filed on October 8 last year, had sought for bail on the grounds that he cannot be booked under the provisions of MCOCA as out of the four cases pending against him, three are personal disputes.
Gawli was arrested in April last year in connection with the murder case of Shiv Sena corporator Kamlakar Jamsandiker and demanding extortion from a city builder.
According to the bail application, there is a conflict in the prosecution documents and that Gawli has been falsely implicated in the case.
"The officers of the DCB-CID have a personal grudge against Gawli. There is no direct evidence to prove Gawli's involvement in either of the cases and the only evidence is the statements of other accused," the application states.
Gawli and 13 others were arrested in connection with the murder of Shiv Sena corporator Jamsandikar.
The Mumbai Police has said that Gawli took 'supari' (contract killing sum) of Rs 30 lakh from a local property developer to eliminate Jamsandiker.
MCOCA Court Rejects Gawli's Bail Plea
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates: Arun Jaitley Cremated With Full State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Replug | The Importance Of Being Arun Jaitley
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians, Had No Second Thoughts. But Now Govt Has Changed Everything.’
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Nothing More 'Anti-National' Than Shutting Down Of Democratic Rights In Kashmir: Priyanka Gandhi
- '..Our Voice Being Taken Away,': IAS Officer Hailed During Kerala Floods Quits
- Live Badminton Score, BWF World Championships: Sindhu Aims Maiden Gold v Okuhara
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan'
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Nathan Lyon Gets Dangerman Joe Root
- PM Modi Reveals How Bear Grylls Conversed With Him In Hindi In 'Man Vs Wild' Special Episode
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India