Margaret Alva was today sworn in as Rajasthan Governor, after her shift from the Raj Bhavan in Uttarakhand in a gubernatorial reshuffle.
Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court Arun Mishra administered her oath of office in Hindi at a ceremony in Raj Bhawan attended by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, members of state council of minister, her family members and others.
After this, she was given a guard of honour.
Jaipur Mayor Jyoti Khandelwal and Deputy Leader of the Opposition Ghanshyam Tiwari were also present on the occassion.
Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil had been holding the additional charge of Rajasthan since April, 2010, after the death of Prabha Rau.
Born on April 14, 1942 in Karnataka, Alva is the third woman Governor of Rajasthan after President Pratibha Patil and Prabha Rau.
Elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1974, Alva had served four consecutive six-year terms in the Upper House of Parliament before she was elected to Lok Sabha in 1999.
In 1984, she was appointed Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs in the Rajiv Gandhi government before moving to the Ministry of Human Resource Development in charge of Youth Affairs and Sports, Women and Child Development.
After the swearing in, Alva told reporters that the doors of the Raj Bhawan will remain open for commoners and "I would try to meet people regularly".
Asked why she arrived in Jaipur by a train instead of the state plane, Alva said she likes journey by train and there was no specific reason except this.
Margaret Alva Sworn in as Rajasthan Governor
THE LATEST ISSUE
- From Mega Religious Gatherings To Labourers, How An Underprepared Government Was Caught Napping
- 'Preparing For Worst': Odisha Chief Secretary Explains COVID-19 Strategy
- Coronavirus Pandemic Live Updates: Positive Cases In India Rise To 2,902, Says Home Ministry
- How Ahmedabad Corporation Endangered People By Seeking To Hire Hands To Fight Corona
- 'I Hang My Head In Shame': Poet Rahat Indori On Attack On Health Workers In Indore
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Centre Amends April 1 Order, Reserves All Jobs For J&K Domiciles
- Coronavirus: FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup In India Postponed
- How To Deal With Pregnancy In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Gujarat: 70 Coaches Of Trains To Be Converted Into Isolation Wards
- Foreign Doctors At AIIMS Struggle To Get Salaries
- After Shaheen Bagh, Tablighi Jamaat Issue Being Used To Demonise Muslims: Jamiat Chief
- Is PM Modi Taking Cue From Vedic Times To Defeat Coronavirus?
- Kaka Picks 'Genius' Messi Over Ronaldo