Maoists might have killed VHP leader Laxamananda Saraswati for securing support of the minority Christians and expand their network in Orissa's Kandhamal district, the Commission probing the murder was informed here today.
"Maoists might have killed Saraswati to get the support of Christians," former Inspector in-Charge of Kotgarh police station H K Pradhan told Justice S C Mohapatra, probing the killing of Saraswati and the violence thereafter.
Noting that the minority community in Kandhamal was not accepting Saraswati's campaign against cow slaughter and religious conversion, the field level officer said many houses were set ablaze and some churches attacked in Kotgarh area a day after the killing of Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
Though no case relating to conversion was registered at the police station, Pradhan said seven people were arrested for rioting and arson. "Land dispute between tribal Kandhas and Pana Dalits added fuel to the riot," he said.
He claimed though a riot broke out in Kotgarh area, the police were not armed as all weapons were withdrawn from the police station.
Maoists Killed Saraswati to Get Support from Christians
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In TMC
- MI Vs RR: Suryakumar, Bumrah Set Up Massive Win
- ‘If Trump Is Still Covid-19 Positive, We Shouldn’t Have A Debate,’ Says Joe Biden
- The Nitty Gritties Of Investigating Hathras Rape
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Innocent Or Framed? Who’s The Real Rhea Chakraborty?
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four In Alwar Gangrape Case
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Atal Tunnel Opens Avenues Of Innovation In Tourism
- French Open: Thiem Stunned In 5-hour Epic As Schwartzman Enters Semis
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- How Is De-Globalization An Opportunity For India?
- No Need To Panic: Steve Smith