Manipur government has deployed state forces at Liyai Khunou and Jessami near the Nagaland border in Ukhrul district to prevent entry of NSCN-IM General Secretary Thuingaleng Muivah.
Official sources said today that about 200 police personnel and border security forces have been deployed at both the villages.
Muivah, who attempted to enter Manipur along the Imphal-Dimapur National Highway 39 last month by camping at Viswema in Nagaland, had moved to Pfutsero in that state in an attempt to cross into Ukhrul district via Jessami and Liyai Khunou.
The senior Naga rebel leader, who hails from Somdal in Manipur's Ukhrul district, left his village about 40 years ago to wage an armed struggle.
The state government and many civil organisations here were of the view that Muivah's attempt to enter Manipur would create communal disharmony as the main demand of the NSCN-IM now was to form a greater Nagaland by taking Naga-settled areas of Manipur with the present Nagaland state, official sources said.
Muivah yesterday wound up his camp at Visema village on the Nagaland-Manipur border where he had been camping since May 5 and went to Pfutsero, Nagaland's highest altitude town, 70 km away by road on a 'peace mission'.
Manipur Deploys Forces to Prevent Muivah's Entry
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Threat & Shortage Of Migrants Poses Challenge to Farmers In Punjab, Haryana
- Coronavirus Tests Must Be Conducted Free Of Cost In Govt & Private Labs, SC Tells Centre
- At All-Party Meet, PM Modi Suggests Extending 21-Day Lockdown
- Corona In The Chambal, Corona In The Secretariat
- Why COVID-19 Outbreak In India's Slums Will Be Disastrous For The Urban Poor
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Coronavirus Hotspots In 15 UP Districts To Be Sealed: All You Need To Know
- Mumbai Makes Masks Compulsory In Public, Violators To Face Action
- Opinion: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM
- Private Airlines Refused To Carry Samples Of Coronavirus To Pune For Testing
- 'He Was Great': Trump Praises Modi Day After Retaliation Warning
- Suspension Of Olympics Qualification Big Blow For Indian Athletes: Coach
- Akhtar Proposes Indo-Pak Series To Raise Funds For Fight Against COVID-19