Noted film maker Mani Kaul, who was considered one of the pioneers of new Indian cinema, died here today after prolonged illness.
Kaul, 66, is survived by two sons and two daughters.
He breathed his last at 1 AM at his home here after he was discharged from a hospital last night, his family said.
Kaul, born in Jodhpur in Rajasthan to a Kashmiri family, was ranked among the film makers who contributed to new-wave Indian cinema with their exemplary movies. He was well-known actor-director Mahesh Kaul's nephew.
Mani Kaul began his career with Uski Roti in 1969 which won him the Filmfare Critics Award for best movie and his other movies like Ashad Ka ek Din, Duvidha and Idiot also got the coveted critics awards.
A graduate from the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Kaul got the National Film Award for Best documentary film Siddheshwari in 1989.
'A luminous mind'
Centre's interlocutor on Kashmir, Dileep Padgaonkar, condoled the death and said "he had a luminous mind. He shed light on making innovative films."
"Mani will be remembered as one of the pioneers, along with Kumar Shahni, of a parallel cinema movement in India. He was also a great teacher of Indian cinema and an accomplished Dhrupad singer," he said.
Pioneer of New Wave
Condoling Kaul's death, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said Kaul was "one of the pioneers of the new wave in Indian cinema who explored new language and expression in his films".
His untimely death has left a void in the film industry which would be very difficult to fill, she said in her condolence message.
The Minister said Kaul was also an inspiration for many generations of the students of FTII and recollected his address to students at the golden jubilee year seminar of the institute where he spoke on ethos.
Kaul was cremated at Lodhi crematorium in the evening in the presence of a large number of his admirers and friends.
Documentary filmmaker Sanjay Kak, theatre artist M K Raina who acted in Kaul's film and critics Shubhrato Sengupta, Sadanand Menon and Aruna Vasudev were among those who were present at the cremation.
He said Kaul changed the way people looked at cinema with his film Duvidha.
"His influence on young cinematographers like K U Mohanan who shot Don but also worked for Kaul was huge. It was because he made them think, about images, what they were, how they work. It wasn't that he merely wanted a pretty picture. I believe he will be remembered as someone who made us think," Kak said.
Art of film
"Mani Kaul was one of the pioneer of new wave cinema in India. And a great conversationalist. Will miss his persona. RIP," Veteran actor Anupam Kher said on micro-blogging site twitter.
Filmmaker Shekar Kapur said, "The passing away of friends reminds you of the value of this moment. RIP Mani Kaul. Friend. Director. A life passionately dedicated to exploring the outer edges of the art of film. Will b missed."
Recollecting his meeting with Kaul, Filmmaker Onir tweeted, "Remember meeting Mani Kaul last to show him 'I AM' at Anurag's office and he told me warmly that he was happy to see a few of us making diff films."
"...Remember the first time he called me I was in berlin. I was so excited n nervous that I couldn't talk," Onir said.
"RIP Mani Kaul. A little known fact - Amol Palekar directed, Shahrukh Khan starrer PAHELI was a remake of Mani Kaul's 1973 film DUVIDHA," Director Shirish Kunder said.
On hearing the news of Kaul's demise, veteran actress Shabana Azmi tweeted, "oh no. How? When? Is there a condolence meeting?.
Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and actor Ranvir Shorey, said, "Mani Kaul - RIP".
Also see: Dhrupad
Mani Kaul, R.I.P
Screenshot From youtube
THE LATEST ISSUE
- The Nitty Gritties Of Investigating Hathras Rape
- MI Vs RR: Suryakumar, Bumrah Set Up Massive Win
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- Covid-19 Virus Can Infect People More Than Six Feet Away: CDC
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Innocent Or Framed? Who’s The Real Rhea Chakraborty?
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four In Alwar Gangrape Case
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Atal Tunnel Opens Avenues Of Innovation In Tourism
- French Open: Thiem Stunned In 5-hour Epic As Schwartzman Enters Semis
- Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana
- How Is De-Globalization An Opportunity For India?
- No Need To Panic: Steve Smith