A man from Pune, working for a telecom company, was today arrested for allegedly making threatening and obscene calls to actress and film producer Pooja Bhatt, police said.
The accused identified as Ashish Swarnakar(28), who hails from Latur district, was picked up from Pune, police said adding that the motive behind making the calls was still being ascertained but preliminary probe suggested that he wanted to harass the actress.
According to police, Swarnakar managed to get the mobile phone numbers of Bhatt and her film maker father Mahesh Bhatt from his neighbour Dhruv, who is a music composer.
On Wednesday, Pooja Bhatt had lodged a complaint with Bandra police station stating that she was receiving obscene and threatening calls from an unidentified person.
The caller had rung up Mahesh Bhatt as well but he did not attend the calls as his phone was on silent mode, police said.
As cops were trying to track the mobile number from which the threatening calls were made, the accused kept changing the locations and switched off his phone many times, making it difficult for investigators to trace his location, Deputy Commissioner of Police Pratap Dighavkar said.
Police said that they would be checking whether Swarnakar, who has no past criminal record, had made similar calls to any other celebrities.
Swarnakar made three calls on Pooja's mobile phone but did not make any monetary demand or try to extort money from the complainant and has no connection with the family or their movie business, police said.
Swarnakar, who has been booked under section 507 (criminal intimidation by anonymous communication) and 509 (word, gesture or act to outrage the modesty of a woman) of IPC, was produced in the court today which remanded him to judicial custody.
Man Held in Pune for Making Obscene Calls to Pooja Bhatt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JP Nadda Becomes BJP Working President, Amit Shah To Continue As Party Chief
- West Bengal Doctors End Strike After Meeting Mamata Banerjee
- Is Whisper Campaign Against Praveen Chakravarty Actually Aimed At Rahul Gandhi?
- Watch: Actor-Singer Palash Sen Calls Doctors Across India To 'Halla Bol' Against Violence
- CWC 2019: Shakib Al Hasan, Liton Das Help BAN Crush WI
- With No Malls, No App-Based Economy, Kashmir Stuck At Where It Was 2 Decades Ago
- India, Pakistan And The Cost Of A Cup Of Tea In Kashmir
- In Girish Karnad's Death, My Lear Has Passed Away
- In Azim Premji, India Has Its Own Andrew Carnegie, The Man Who Donated 90% Of His Wealth
- Time Opposition Parties Revisited Their Founding Principles To Find How Far Or Close They Are To Them
- LS Polls In J&K: Uncles, Aunties And Engineer Rasheed
- Army Major Killed, 3 Jawans Injured In Gunfight With Militants In J&K's Anantnag
- BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur Creates Controversy Over Her Name During Oath Taking In Lok Sabha
- Will Kerala MP K Suresh Lead Congress In Lok Sabha If Rahul Gandhi Says No?
- TV Reporter Confronts BJP 'Leader' Who Entered ICU Wearing Shoes, Wins Praise On Internet
- 'It Talks About Power Of Universalism And Liberalism': Kapil Dev On His Book 'We The Sikhs'
- Bihar: 100 Children Die Due To Suspected Acute Encephalitis, Harsh Vardhan Visits Families
- Kolkata Man's Live Stunt In Hoogly River Turns Fatal, Drowns
- WATCH: Kuldeep Makes His Mark With ‘A Perfect Delivery' Against Pakistan