A man from Pune, working for a telecom company, was today arrested for allegedly making threatening and obscene calls to actress and film producer Pooja Bhatt, police said.
The accused identified as Ashish Swarnakar(28), who hails from Latur district, was picked up from Pune, police said adding that the motive behind making the calls was still being ascertained but preliminary probe suggested that he wanted to harass the actress.
According to police, Swarnakar managed to get the mobile phone numbers of Bhatt and her film maker father Mahesh Bhatt from his neighbour Dhruv, who is a music composer.
On Wednesday, Pooja Bhatt had lodged a complaint with Bandra police station stating that she was receiving obscene and threatening calls from an unidentified person.
The caller had rung up Mahesh Bhatt as well but he did not attend the calls as his phone was on silent mode, police said.
As cops were trying to track the mobile number from which the threatening calls were made, the accused kept changing the locations and switched off his phone many times, making it difficult for investigators to trace his location, Deputy Commissioner of Police Pratap Dighavkar said.
Police said that they would be checking whether Swarnakar, who has no past criminal record, had made similar calls to any other celebrities.
Swarnakar made three calls on Pooja's mobile phone but did not make any monetary demand or try to extort money from the complainant and has no connection with the family or their movie business, police said.
Swarnakar, who has been booked under section 507 (criminal intimidation by anonymous communication) and 509 (word, gesture or act to outrage the modesty of a woman) of IPC, was produced in the court today which remanded him to judicial custody.
Man Held in Pune for Making Obscene Calls to Pooja Bhatt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates: Arun Jaitley Cremated With Full State Honours At Nigambodh Ghat In Delhi
- Shashi Tharoor Pens Tribute, Says Arun Jaitley Was Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- Replug | The Importance Of Being Arun Jaitley
- ‘We Considered Ourselves Indians, Had No Second Thoughts. But Now Govt Has Changed Everything.’
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- Nothing More 'Anti-National' Than Shutting Down Of Democratic Rights In Kashmir: Priyanka Gandhi
- '..Our Voice Being Taken Away,': IAS Officer Hailed During Kerala Floods Quits
- Live Badminton Score, BWF World Championships: Sindhu Aims Maiden Gold v Okuhara
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan'
- Ashes Live, 3rd Test: Root Gives ENG Hope; AUS Look To Retain The Urn
- PM Modi Reveals How Bear Grylls Conversed With Him In Hindi In 'Man Vs Wild' Special Episode
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- Pakistan Says Committed To Kartarpur Corridor Despite Tense Ties With India