In a gruesome incident, a man allegedly beheaded his wife and carried her severed head through the streets here before being arrested today, police said.
Suspecting his wife Amiya Daimary Das of being involved in an illicit relationship, Ranjit Das allegedly killed her in a fit of rage with a machete at their residence in Japorigog area of the city.
After beheading his wife, he carried the severed head through the streets before he was stopped by a group of patrolling CRPF personnel and taken to Dispur police station.
The couple, married for the last 10 years, have two sons and their six-year-old younger son Ashim, who had witnessed the incident, is now missing.
Elder son Vishal, 9, had gone to his maternal uncle's residence in Nalbari during the ongoing Puja holidays.
Amiya was a nurse with the National Rural Health Mission and was posted at Orang in Darrang district.
Her body has been sent for postmortem and Das was being interrogated by police.
This incident is reminiscent of the case of Mahendra Nath Das who was convicted to death for the gruesome murder of Harakanta Das at Fancy Bazar in Guwahati, back in 1996.
Immediately after committing the crime, Mahendra surrendered before police along with the sword and the severed head of the victim.
He was subsequently sentenced to death by Kamrup Session Judge in 1997 and President Pratibha Patil rejected the mercy plea early on but the Gauhati High Court stayed the hanging till November 1 following another petition filed by Das.
Man Beheads Wife, Carries Severed Head Through Guwahati Street
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Interpreting The Verdict: What Led To BJP's Defeat In Rajasthan
- Congress Likely To Announce Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Today
- Opinion | Rafale Deal: Security Is A Sensitive Issue, We Must Keep Politics Aside
- After Congress' 3-0 Win In Hindi Heartland, 2019 Looks A More Open Game
- PM Modi Hits Out At Congress For ‘Raising Doubts’ Over 2016 Surgical Strike
- The Pilgrim’s Progress: Railways To Waive Off Surcharge On Special Trains During Kumbh Mela
- Why There Is A Problem With Opinion Polls In India
- Introduced And Cancelled: Why India's Semi-High-Speed Trains Struggle To Survive
- When Omar Retweets Mehbooba And Drabu 'Likes' Lone's Tweets
- In Karnataka, Ministry Expansion Is Back To The Front Once Again
- Here's Why PM Modi's G20 Move On Economic Offenders Is Unlikely To Change Anything
- Rahul Gandhi Hints Chhattisgarh CM Issue Settled
- Govt Moves Supreme Court Seeking Correction In Rafale Verdict
- Govt Ensured India Least Affected By Immigration, US Working Visa Issue: Ram Madhav
- Zoramthanga Sworn In As Mizoram Chief Minister
- Virat Kohli Becomes Fastest Indian To Score 25 Test Centuries
- Watch: Cash Rains In New Jersey As Armoured Truck Crashes On Highway
- J&J Knew About Presence Of Asbestos In Baby Powder For Decades : Report
- Setback To Upender Kushwaha's RLSP, Legislators Announce to Remain With NDA