In a gruesome incident, a man allegedly beheaded his wife and carried her severed head through the streets here before being arrested today, police said.
Suspecting his wife Amiya Daimary Das of being involved in an illicit relationship, Ranjit Das allegedly killed her in a fit of rage with a machete at their residence in Japorigog area of the city.
After beheading his wife, he carried the severed head through the streets before he was stopped by a group of patrolling CRPF personnel and taken to Dispur police station.
The couple, married for the last 10 years, have two sons and their six-year-old younger son Ashim, who had witnessed the incident, is now missing.
Elder son Vishal, 9, had gone to his maternal uncle's residence in Nalbari during the ongoing Puja holidays.
Amiya was a nurse with the National Rural Health Mission and was posted at Orang in Darrang district.
Her body has been sent for postmortem and Das was being interrogated by police.
This incident is reminiscent of the case of Mahendra Nath Das who was convicted to death for the gruesome murder of Harakanta Das at Fancy Bazar in Guwahati, back in 1996.
Immediately after committing the crime, Mahendra surrendered before police along with the sword and the severed head of the victim.
He was subsequently sentenced to death by Kamrup Session Judge in 1997 and President Pratibha Patil rejected the mercy plea early on but the Gauhati High Court stayed the hanging till November 1 following another petition filed by Das.
Man Beheads Wife, Carries Severed Head Through Guwahati Street
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Leeway To Ladakh: Kashmir Sees Political Message As Leh Gets More Autonomy
- Two Goa Congress MLAs Resign After Meeting Amit Shah, Set To Join BJP
- #MeToo | Where’s The Line To Be Drawn When Everyone Has A Different Line?
- Poll Strategist Prashant Kishor Appointed JD(U)’s Vice President
- One Shot, One Location, One Actor: Bimba Redefines Fast Track Film-Making
- M J Akbar Should Be Fired Rather Than Being Allowed To Resign
- Why Kishore Kumar Declined A Cover Version Of His Idol KL Saigal's Songs
- Health Hazards Caused By Contaminated Water Supply In Indian Railways
- BJP Is Unlikely To Flaunt Its Economic Record In 2019 Election Campaign
- Stinking Toilets In Trains: Blame It On Passengers
- 'Dawshobhuja A Durgachitra' On This Durga Puja
- He Was Obnoxious, Extremely Sexist: Dia Mirza Speaks Up Against Sajid Khan
- NSUI President Fairoz Khan Quits After Sexual Harassment Charges
- Yogi Adityanath Govt Approves Renaming Of Allahabad To Prayagraj
- Self-Styled Godman Rampal Sentenced To Life Imprisonment In Murder Cases
- Bryan Adams Shares Photo Of Delhi Smog, Says ‘You Can See My Shadow’
- Former BSP MP's Son Brandishes Gun Outside 5-Star Hotel In Delhi, Video Goes Viral
- Bhagat Hits Back At Ira Trivedi, Says Don't Harm #MeToo Movement With False Charges
- Protesters Stop Women At Sabarimala Base Camp Ahead Of Temple Opening