In a gruesome incident, a man allegedly beheaded his wife and carried her severed head through the streets here before being arrested today, police said.
Suspecting his wife Amiya Daimary Das of being involved in an illicit relationship, Ranjit Das allegedly killed her in a fit of rage with a machete at their residence in Japorigog area of the city.
After beheading his wife, he carried the severed head through the streets before he was stopped by a group of patrolling CRPF personnel and taken to Dispur police station.
The couple, married for the last 10 years, have two sons and their six-year-old younger son Ashim, who had witnessed the incident, is now missing.
Elder son Vishal, 9, had gone to his maternal uncle's residence in Nalbari during the ongoing Puja holidays.
Amiya was a nurse with the National Rural Health Mission and was posted at Orang in Darrang district.
Her body has been sent for postmortem and Das was being interrogated by police.
This incident is reminiscent of the case of Mahendra Nath Das who was convicted to death for the gruesome murder of Harakanta Das at Fancy Bazar in Guwahati, back in 1996.
Immediately after committing the crime, Mahendra surrendered before police along with the sword and the severed head of the victim.
He was subsequently sentenced to death by Kamrup Session Judge in 1997 and President Pratibha Patil rejected the mercy plea early on but the Gauhati High Court stayed the hanging till November 1 following another petition filed by Das.
Man Beheads Wife, Carries Severed Head Through Guwahati Street
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As India Boycotts Pak Day Celebrations, China Helps Pakistan Avoid Embarrassment
- Imran Khan Tweets PM Modi's Greetings On Pakistan Day As India Boycotts Event In Delhi
- India's Chanakyas | Meet Kancherla Keshava Rao, The Go-To Man Of KCR During Crisis
- Lalu Cedes RJD Ground To Weaker Allies To Keep Anti-NDA Flock Together At Any Cost
- Mizoram Chief Electoral Officer Issues Notice To PRISM Leaders On Secession
- The Deteriorating State Of Modern Music
- Tarun Gogoi Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hain
- Kohli Is Already An Era-Defining Genius, Don't Read Further
- With Teni Da's Demise, Comes An End Of An Era In Bengali Films
- New Zealand Massacre: Colonisation, Immigration, And White Man's Victimhood
- Solskjaer’s Magical Case For Manchester United Exceptionalism
- Jet Airways Suspends Services Of 13 International Routes Till End-April
- Justice Ghose Takes Oath As First Lokpal Chief
- After Boycott By India, Guests At Pakistan Day Event Allege Harassment By Police
- BJP Announces Second List Of Candidates For LS Polls, Sambit Patra To Contest From Puri
- Cong Asks PMO To Confirm On Greetings Exchanged With Imran Khan On Pak National Day
- Gambhir's Patriotism Makes Him Ideal Choice For BJP. Here Are Some Of His Mercurial Quotes
- 12-Year-Old Boy Held Hostage By Militants In Bandipora Killed
- IPL 2019 Curtain Raiser: Amid World Cup Disquiet, Cricket Gets Ready For Annual Carnival