Injecting a political twist, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today pulled out of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's two-day visit to Bangladesh from Tuesday, apparently upset over the proposed treaty on sharing of Teesta river waters.
"I am not going," Banerjee told PTI here, when asked whether she will visit Bangladesh. She did not specify any reason for deciding not to go to Bangladesh.
Banerjee is believed to be sore over the revised final draft of the treaty under which more water of Teesta river was to be shared with Bangladesh as she felt such a move would hurt West Bengal's interests.
Banerjee and chief ministers of four other states--Assam, Tripura, Mizoram and Meghalaya--bordering Bangladesh were scheduled to accompany the Prime Minister on his visit starting September 6.
Banerjee was to go to Dhaka directly from Kolkata instead of joining the PM's delegation in Delhi.
National Security Adviser Shiv Shankar Menon had met Banerjee on August 31 to brief her on the strategy of bilateral discussion during the Prime Minister's visit.
Mamata Pulls Out of PM's Bangladesh Visit
THE LATEST ISSUE
- RBI Decision On Moratorium On Term Loan Payments Big Relief, Will Help Reduce Financial Stress On Borrowers
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned In Mumbai After WHO Hoardings On COVID-19 Trigger Panic
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-Old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 10-Month-Old Tests Positve In Karnataka; Three More Cases In Noida
- 'No One To Sleep Hungry': Kejriwal Announces Meals For 4 Lakh People Amid Lockdown
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States
- The Delhi Cop Who Looks After 350 Poor Families Amid Covid-19 Lockdown
- Coronavirus: RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4%
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Prasar Bharati To Re-run 'Ramayan' From Mar 28
- Coronavirus: Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots – REPORT
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Moody's Slashes India's GDP Growth In 2020 To 2.5% Due To Coronavirus Impact
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19