Vikram Lamba, brother of Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat, was today booked under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) for carrying foreign currency beyond permissible limit and not declaring dutiable goods, Customs officials said.
Lamba was detained at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Terminal in the morning by the Customs officials when he was passing through the green channel after he landed from an Emirates flight that arrived from London via Dubai.
"Preliminary investigations have revealed that Lamba was carrying 13000 Pounds and electronic and luxury items, value of which amounts to lakhs. He had not declared either the foreign currency or the items," Deputy Commissioner, Customs, Sameer Wankhede, said.
Lamba is still in detention and being questioned at the airport, the officials said adding that further valuation of the goods is on.
This is the third such incident in the past one month. Earlier actresses Bipasha Basu and Minissha Lamba were detained by the Customs for duty evasion.
While Bipasha was let off after she paid a penalty of Rs 13,000 for carrying accessories worth Rs 70,000, Minissha, who was carrying a diamond necklace in her purse had claimed that she forgot to declare the same.
Mallika Sherawat's Brother Booked Under FEMA
THE LATEST ISSUE
- What is Mucormycosis? What Are The Symptoms? Know It From Expert
- 11 Covid Patients Die In Tirupati Hospital As 'Oxygen Tanker Arrived Late'
- Covid Explained: How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- Domestic Travel Bans Can Increase Covid-19 Cases
- Clueless Congress Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- What Is Ivermectin, FDA-Approved Drug That Goa Has Recommended?
- Maharashtra: Daily Cases Drop Below 40,000 For First Time After March 31
- Bengaluru To Witness Covid Peak By May 17; To See Over 14K Deaths: Experts
- Fact Check: Has Covaxin Been Approved For Children Above 12 Years?
- Delhi Should Prepare For Third Covid wave: Arvind Kejriwal
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- UEFA Has Issues With UCL Final Switch To London; Porto A Backup
- Navjot Kaur Recovers From COVID, Says Virus Failed To Deter Her Confidence