Actress Mallika Sherawat and director K C Bokadia today claimed they have received "threatening calls" for being part for an upcoming film inspired by Bhanwari Devi, a Rajasthan-based nurse who was allegedly murdered.
Mallika is playing the lead role in Dirty Politics, being directed by Bokadia.
The 36-year-old nurse had gone missing from Jodhpur's Bilara area and was killed in 2011.
"I have received threats. There was a call that my brother received, saying "tell your sister to stay away from this topic and from the film". I think these kinds of threats will be issued," Mallika told reporters here.
"I have also received a lots of threats. I know my duty as a filmmaker. Though I am inspired by the Bhanwari Devi case I have presented it in my own style. I think it will be a clean and good film. We have done the film in our way..It is one of the best films that I have made," Bokadia said.
The duo, however, did not say if they intend to lodge a police complaint over the threats.
The Bollywood director felt the Murder actress fits the bill for the role. "I don't think anyone else could have done this film. I think 5-10 years back when I had seen her performance in Murder I had not thought I would work with her. This film required her and I am happy she is doing it."
Mallika said everyone has to play politics to survive and she is no exception. "Everyday we have to play politics to survive. I do both good and bad politics. I would like to do dirty politics...Dirtier the better. In the film industry, I think every actor is victim of politics."
About her role in Dirty Politics, she said "The role is bold. I never tried to change my image and I don't need to do it. I am very happy with my image."
"This is a difficult role to do. I liked the script and agreed to be part of it. From the beginning of my career, I have done female-oriented roles but very few such roles are written in Bollywood," she said.
Mallika, Director Receive 'Threats' Over Bhanwari Devi Film
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly