Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik today said he had ordered an inquiry into the death of Indian national Chambail Singh, who died after he was allegedly assaulted by prison staff in Lahore last month.
"I (have) ordered an enquiry by (the Federal Investigation Agency) today," Malik said in a message posted on Twitter this morning.
He was responding to a post by an Indian Twitter user who had claimed that Singh was "murdered" in a Pakistani prison.
Authorities in Lahore had earlier ordered a judicial inquiry into the death of Singh after another prisoner, a Christian lawyer named Tehseen Khan, alleged that the Indian national had died after he was beaten by staff at Kot Lakhpat Jail on January 15.
Officials of the jail have refuted Khan's allegations and said Singh died of a heart attack.
They said he was taken to Jinnah Hospital on January 15 and doctors pronounced him dead on arrival.
The judicial inquiry is yet to be completed because an autopsy has not been performed on Singh's body, which is being kept at the mortuary of Jinnah Hospital.
The Indian High Commission in Islamabad has asked Pakistani authorities to speed up the process of handing over Singh's body.
There are currently 33 Indian prisoners in Kot Lakhpat Jail and officials have said all of them are safe.
Singh hailed from Jammu and Kashmir and is believed to have been in his sixties, Indian officials said.
He was serving a five-year prison term for alleged involvement in espionage. The records of Kot Lakhpat Jail state that Singh was arrested near the border at Sialkot in 2010. He was brought to the jail last June.
Malik Orders Probe Into Death of Indian National in Pak
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- COVID-19 Live Updates: India Records 227 New Cases In 24 Hours; Italy Registers 812 New Deaths
- Six Who Attended Religious Gathering In Delhi Die Due To Coronavirus In Telengana
- SACHIN'S DIARY: Sleeping Well, Varan-Bhaat And Pink Floyd – How 'God Of Cricket' Is Combating Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Outbreak Could Throw Millions Of Asians Into Poverty, Says World Bank
- 'My Mother Is Dead. I Am Stuck In Coronavirus Lockdown': Bihar Labourer Cries For Help In Delhi
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Rebranding China In The Time Of Coronavirus
- Meghalaya Allows Home Delivery Of Liquor On Health Grounds
- 175 From Delhi's Nizamuddin Being Tested For Coronvirus
- IPL Team Owners Have Discussed Staging Games Behind Closed Doors
- Migrant Workers Sprayed With Chemicals, Bareilly DM Admits 'Mistake'
- Corona Silences Tamil Nadu’s Majestic Nadhaswarams
- Will Stray Animals Survive The Coronavirus Lockdown?
- EXCLUSIVE | Simon Taufel Hails Virender Sehwag's Temperament, Humour