After a long drawn battle with Malawian authorities, 'Queen of Pop' Madonna is finally set to bring home four-year-old Mercy James as the country's apex court today gave the go ahead to the star.
A local court of the African nation had earlier declined Madonna's application in April stating that the prospective parents had to reside in Malawi for a minimum period of 18 months. The star had then appealed against the decision in the Malawian Supreme court.
The Supreme Court of Appeal approved Madonna's adoption bid today saying that the lower court failed to take modern realities into account in initially rejecting her plea, Daily Mail reported.
Supreme Court Chief Justice Lovemore Munlo said that Madonna's commitment to the welfare of disadvantaged children should have been taken into account. He added that the 50-year-old star was economically stable and could take care of Mercy.
Madonna, who invested millions in charitable schemes in the country has started preparation to take the child home to New York where she will attend nursery school with David Banda whom the singer had adopted from Malawi in 2006.
Madonna's two biological children Lourdes, 12, Rocco, eight are also reportedly excited about the new addition to the family.
The star had received assurance earlier this week that all three of the judges presiding over the appeal were in favour of her adoption plea.
Malawian Court Approves Madonna's Adoption Plea
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly