Chinese visa denial to an Arunachal Pradesh youth delegate has created a friction between the Ministry of External Affairs and Sports Ministry, which is now waiting for instructions on the issue.
Maintaining that MEA was not kept in the loop, official sources said, "Sports Ministry should have consulted the MEA before going ahead with such a tour to avoid any such incident."
Sports Minister Ajay Maken told reporters here today that he has now informed the MEA and was awaiting instructions on the future course of action.
"I have already informed MEA about the matter and I am waiting what they want me to do," Maken said.
Maken had earlier said that the visa denial to the delegate came at such a late stage that nothing could have been done.
"We were informed about this visa denial at a very late stage. We were told just moments before the flight was to take off. It was not possible to do anything at that stage," a Sports Ministry source said.
Chinese authorities denied the visa to the Arunachal Pradesh delegate earlier this week but the 100-strong Indian delegation still went ahead with the tour.
The delegation is in Beijing on the invitation of the All China Youth Federation as part of the program under the scheme of "the Year of China-India Friendship and Cooperation", jointly announced by Chinese President Hu Jintao and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
This is not the first instance of China refusing visa to residents of Arunachal, which Beijing calls its own territory.
In 2007, China refused a visa to an IAS officer of the Arunachal cadre. In 2010, pistol shooter Pemba Tamang was issued a stapled visa by the Chinese which prevented him from participating in the World Championship.
In 2011, China issued stapled visas to two women weightlifters and members of a karate team from the state.
Maken Awaiting MEA's Response to Chinese Visa Denial
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Lalu Yadav Will Not Be Able To Campaign In Bihar Polls Despite Getting Bail
- RR Vs DC: Rajasthan Bowl Against Rajasthan
- Hateras And Us: Dalit Death Symptom Of Graver Malaise
- If There’s Evidence Of TRP Manipulations, I&B Ministry Can Cancel Channel's Licence: Manish Tewari
- Bhima Koregaon Case: NIA Files Charge-Sheet Against Eight People
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Indra Nooyi Listed As Member In Prince William’s Earth Prize Council
- Staff Crunch Halts Airing Of Modi's Mann Ki Baat In 10 Countries
- Rajasthan: 50-Year-Old Priest Set Ablaze After Dispute With Land Mafias
- India Test-Fires Its First Anti-Radiation Missile 'Rudram-1'
- OTT Platforms Are A Blessing: Actors Of ‘Scam 1992: The Harshad Mehta Story’
- IPL 2020: Sehwag's 'Government Job' Comment Sums Up CSK's Worries
- Rs 10 Crore Fine Ready, Sasikala May Walk Out Of Jail Any Time Now: Lawyer
- ISL: East Bengal Appoint Liverpool Legend Robbie Fowler As Head Coach