Former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi has proposed mandatory annual audit of funds and donations received by political parties.
"We want all political funding should be transparent and checked. There should be annual compulsory audits by an independent auditor to be picked up from a panel suggested by the Election Commission," Quraishi told PTI.
He said the report of such audit should be put in the public domain.
"Everybody will be able to see where the money is coming from. Whether they (parties) get money from a corporate and within a month or two month (if) they favour him. People will see all this," the former CEC said, supporting an oversight mechanism on the funding of parties.
During his tenure, Quraishi said, he had held discussions with political parties on the need to bring in more transparency in fundings and barring candidates having criminal background from contesting elections.
"We have had discussions with them (political parties) for this (funding) reforms and barring criminal people from contesting (elections). But we have not been able to bring them on," he said.
To a question whether political parties should come under the ambit of the Right to Information Act, he said, "That is a good idea."
Political parties in the country have 'earned' a whooping Rs 4,662 crore through donation and other sources between 2004 and 2011 with the ruling Congress at the top with an income of Rs 2,008 crore followed by BJP at Rs 994 crore, two NGOs have recently claimed in their report.
The reports were based on the Income Tax returns and list of donors submitted to the Election Commission for the period 2004-11.
Make Audit of Party Funds Mandatory: S.Y. Quraishi
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Citing Covid Situation Cong Again Defers Internal Poll To Elect New Chief
- Bihar: Corpses Of Suspected Covid-19 Victims Found Floating In Ganga River
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine