The decision to banish Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen from Kolkata is one of the reasons why the Left Front government in West Bengal will have to go away, noted writer Mahasweta Devi said today.
In a written statement to NGO Women Against Oppression, which observed the third anniversary of Taslima's departure from Kolkata, the Magsaysay-winning writer said the banishment of the writer happened "under pressure from a particular group of people".
"To take away the freedom of writing from a writer is not justified and we want Taslima back in the city," she said and appealed to those working for bringing about a "change" in the state to fight for the writer's return.
Nasreen was forced to leave the city on November 22, 2007 and, then, the country after a brief stay in Delhi.
Poet Joy Goswami used the occasion to request the central and state governments to help bring Nasreen in the country and allow her to write freely.
Mahasweta Devi Slams Bengal Govt for Banishing Taslima
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- Bihar: 71 Corpses Recovered From Ganga
- 26 Covid Patients Die At Goa Govt Hospital
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- China’s Wolf Warrior Warns Bangladesh Against Joining The Quad
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Get Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression