Noted writer Mahasweta Devi today condemned the heckling of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Finance Minister Amit Mitra, saying those who practise such "indecent politics" are alienated from the people.
Describing the incident as "extremely unfortunate", the Magsaysay award winner told reporters here that this should not have happened.
"Those who did it and those who practice such indecent politics are alienated from the people," she said, supporting Governor M K Narayanan's strong statement yesterday against the incident.
Emphasising that Mamata has no alternative, the writer- activist said the chief minister had gone to Delhi "to bring funds for the people of the state and she was attacked".
She said politicians should adopt a constructive attitude. "Illiteracy should be removed because literacy is the most powerful weapon, stronger than sword or
lathi. Give the people of our state literacy," she said.
Referring to SFI leader Sudipto Dutta's death, the writer said, "It was very unfortunate and cannot be supported. The state government should order a probe into it and punish the policemen responsible for the student's death."
On the ongoing political violence in the state, she said it was continuing since the previous Left Front rule. "It should be stopped. We want our state to do well," she said.
The noted litterateur, who had supported Mamata prior to 2011 Assembly polls, has at times been critical of the Trinamool chief's policies in West Bengal.
Pro-Trinamool intellectuals including singer Dwijen Mukhopadhyay today organised a rally in Rabindra Sadan area to protest against the assault on the chief minister and the state finance minister in Delhi.
Mahasweta Devi Condemns SFI Attack on Mamata
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- GST Exemption On Vaccine, Covid Drugs Will Make Them Costlier: FM Nirmala Sitharaman
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly