Shiv Sena members today led an Opposition walkout in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly over "imposition" of nuclear power plant in Jaitapur in the Konkan belt of the state.
Opposition benches accused the government of imposing the nuclear power plant against the will of the people and thereby risking the lives of human beings and fisheries.
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Eknath Khadse and Shiv Sena leader Subhash Desai, while opposing the Jaitapur plant along with others, said it was coming up on a seismic zone and major accidents in such plants have been reported in the past in Russia.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan defended the location and setting up of the nuclear plant in Jaitapur saying all safegaurds regarding the power plant would be taken and there would be no cause of worry.
In today's technical and technological advancement, the plant will be safe to provide clean environment friendly and pollution free energy, he said.
Chavan said the Nuclear Power Corporation of India will be executing the installation and operation of the plant and adequate compensation would be paid to farmers whose land will be acquired by the government.
Rs 15 crore has been earmarked for compensation, he said.
Desai and others insisted that when the water used by the power plant is released back to sea, it will raise the water temperature by five degrees and aquatic life would be threatened.
Industries and Ports Minister Narayan Rane had a dig at the Sena-BJP saying that the coalition which had wanted to "dump the Enron power project in the Arabian sea" during its rule in the state was opposing developmental activities now.
Not satisfied with the replies on Jaitapur, Sena decided to stage a walkout. Confusion prevailed for sometime but soon other opposition members too joined the walkout.
Maharashtra: Sena Leads Opposition Walkout N-Plant
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Covid Second Wave: PM Modi's Larger-Than-Life Image Takes A Big Hit
- The Covid Chargesheet: From First Lockdown To Present Catastrophe
- Covid: 13 Foreign Countries’ Emergency Medical Help Land In Shimla
- A Pin-Prick Of Hope: 40 Transgenders Given Covid-19 Jab In Guwahati
- Central Encroachment Into West Bengal Even After Elections
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Daughter’s Diary: Corona Has Come Home, But Home Is Far Away
- UK Study: Mixing Vaccines Can Be Safe
- Oxygen Crisis: 75 Deaths At Goa's Biggest Covid Hospital
- PM Modi Releases Rs 19,000 Cr To Farmers; Steps to Check Balance
- Bikers On A Mission Bridging Plasma Donors With Covid Patients
- Suspicion Of Poisoning Rife After 18 Elephants Die In Assam’s Nagaon
- Hardik Doesn't Fit In ODIs, T20s: Sarandeep
- Race Walker KT Irfan Turn Negative