Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today filed his nomination papers for the bye-election to the State Legislative Council, scheduled to held here on May 4.
Chavan who is not a member of either of the Houses of the Legislature, has to get elected before May 11. He took over from Ashok Chavan after he resigned in wake of the Adarsh housing scam in November last year.
With the Congress leadership asking Chavan to fight Council elections instead of the Assembly, sitting MLC Sanjay Dutt vacated his seat last month facilitating the CM's election as a legislator.
289 members of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly form the electoral college for the bypoll. Congress has 82 and NCP has 62 MLAs.
The last day of filing the nomination papers is April 23 and the scrutiny will take place two days later while the last day of withdrawal of nomination papers is April 27.
In the event of the election being contested, the poll will be taken on May 4.
Earlier, Chavan filed his papers in the presence of returning officer Anant Kalse, who is also the Principal Secretary of the State Legislature.
Senior Congress and NCP leaders including Deputy CM Ajit Pawar, State Unit Presidents Manikrao Thakre and Madhukar Pichad were also present on the occasion.
Meanwhile, the affidavit filed by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan before Returning Officer (RO) declared that Chavan and his wife collectively own property over Rs 6.81 crore.
As per the affidavit, the movable property owned by Chavan is of Rs 4,18,17,779 (4 crore, 18 lakh, 17 thousand 779 rupees) while that of his wife is Rs 30,42,810. The immovable property being held by the chief minister is Rs 2,21,30,000 (2 crore, 21 lakh, 30 thousand) and Rs 8,25,000 by his wife.
Maharashtra Council Bypoll: Chavan Files Nomination
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Explained: What Is N440K Covid Variant? Is It More Virulent? Know What CCMB Says
- What’s Fatal Black Fungus Infection In Covid Patients; Check Dos And Don’ts Here
- Mamata Banerjee Retains Ministerial Core As 43 Take Oath Today
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Will You Need An E-Pass For Travelling From Noida To Delhi? Know Here
- Fact Check: Can You Get Covid Even After Vaccination? Govt Clarifies
- Can Hot Water Bath Or Drinking Warm Water Prevent Covid? Govt Answers
- Lockdowns And Curfews: List Of States, UTs Clamping Down Against Covid-19
- Himanta Biswa Sarma To Take Oath As Assam Chief Minister Today
- The Shadow Of Satellite On Negroponte Switch
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- Remainder Of IPL 2021 Can't Happen In India, Says Sourav Ganguly