Congress leader Raj Babbar today accused the Modi government of compromising national security, saying the "selfie" government was busy projecting "Maharaj Modi's" image at international level than protecting country's borders and strengthening internal security.
Maharaj Modi's Selfie Govt Weakened National Security: Babbar
"Within one year, Maharaj Modi's government has compromised with national security and national interest," the Congress' national spokesperson said here.
"The government's priorities are not to protect our borders and strengthen internal security. It has indulged in kneel down politics in order to project the image (of the Prime Minister) at international level. Our country's defence strategy now has turned quite weak," he alleged.
He demanded the Centre to issue white paper pertaining to any benefit gained from the foreign visits of PM Narendra Modi.
"This government is a selfie government where only one individual speaks. I want Maharaj Modi-led government should release white paper explaining what kind of benefits country gained from Modi's foreign visit," Babbar said.
The Congress leader alleged that in the past one year, the number of infiltrations across the LoC and the border with China has increased, besides a record increase in ceasefire violations and cross border firings, because of wrong foreign policy and diplomacy.
"China is infiltrating into our territory. You (PM) are sitting in China and they are heavily investing in PoK. But you are not raising any question. What kind of diplomacy is this?" the Congress leader said.
He said the government has earned the epithet of "Badte rahe seema par var, aisi hai Modi sarkar."
Taking a dig at Modi's 56-inch chest remark, Babbar said, "Modi used to say that Manmohan Singh-led government was weak. I want to ask what has happened to your 56-inch chest now. Has it turned into 56-inch stomach?"
He also took an exception to Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar's "terrorists have to be neutralised only through terrorists" remark.
"If such kind of statement comes from a Defence Minister, then question will always be raised on country's defence policy and diplomacy followed by the government," he said.
The Congress leader also criticised the Centre for not "doing anything" after terrorists Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi were released by Pakistan.
Attacking the Union government for not implementing 'One Rank One Pension', the actor turned Rajya Sabha MP accused it of playing vote bank politics by not fulfilling its commitment made to ex-servicemen and said it has been put into cold storage by the government.
"The BJP government is playing vote bank politics over 'One Rank One Pension' issue. Finance Minister (Arun Jaitley) thinks that there will be lesser political advantage to the party by doling out heavy sum of money by implementing One Rank One Pension." he alleged.
Babbar lashed out the NDA-led Centre for allegedly downsizing Mountain Strike Corps and its budget by 50 per cent.
"In a shocking compromise of national interest, just three weeks ahead of Modi's China visit, Defence Ministry reduced the strength and budget of Mountain Strike Corps by 50 per cent because of fund shortage. But we must not forget that China had raised serious concerns on formation of such corps," he said.
The Congress leader also described the buying of Rafale fighter jets from France as non-transparent and criticised the Centre for its failure to spend the amount allocated for defence by previous Congress government in 2014-15.
"To utter dismay, Modi government has failed to utilise Rs 28,446 crore, lowest spending of budgeted amount in last five years," he said.
Terming BJP-led government's defence and foreign policy as "fraught with danger", Babbar said, "Our policies should be such which were followed during government's led by Jawahar Lal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Manmohan Singh and even Atal Bihari Vajpayee."
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rhea Chakraborty Walks Out Of Byculla Jail After Bombay High Court Grants Her Bail
- KKR Vs CSK: Kolkata Choke Chennai After Rahul Tripathi's 81
- Pro Pros And Cons: Publicists Face The Music As Drugs Scandal Hits Bollywood
- Aatma Nirbhar Bharat: A Salad Bowl Of Many Healthy Ideas, Some Of Them Incompatible
- The SSR Mega Serial: How TV Media Put Original Family Dramas To Shame
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Batting Let Bowlers Down, Says CSK Skipper Dhoni After Yet Another Defeat
- FIR Against Sachin Pilot's Media Manager For Reporting 'Phone Tapping'
- Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar Dies By Suicide
- With EPS As CM Candidate, AIADMK Looks For Continuity
- Want To Cross Verify A Doctor's Credentials? Sorry, You Cannot
- Prashant Kishor’s Team Starts Feeling The Heat Of Infighting In The TMC
- Atal Tunnel: Himachal To Beef Up Security
- Clinical Tsitsipas Makes History