Senior AGP leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta today accused Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of "compromising the interest" of the people of the state in carrying out the land-swap deal with Bangladesh.
"Gogoi has sold the interest of the people in agreeing to give land to Bangladesh in the name of settling the border dispute. This is an anti-national act," Mahanta, former chief minister of the state told reporters here.
Mahanta said that erection of barbed fencing was only to contain infiltration and check trans-border crimes and cannot solve any border dispute.
As such the claim of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi that the land-swap deal will result in completing of border fencing is "not acceptable", Mahanta said.
He reiterated his earlier view that the government should have discussed the matter in the state assembly before such an important decision.
"When an elected House is there how can the chief minister act on his own and sign the deal in an arbitrary manner", he asked.
On the recent hike of price of petrol, the former chief minister said the people of the North East will be suffer the most as they have to depend on essentials supplied by road from other states.
Mahanta Slams Gogoi for Indo-Bangla Land Swap
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Private Traders Saw Second Wave Coming, Hoarded Oxygen But Government Didn’t
- How To Tackle Second Covid Wave: 9 Points From Opposition To Centre
- Predicting Shortage, Parliamentary Panel Had Urged Centre To Ramp Up Vaccine Production
- ‘Will Covid Vaccine Kill Or Make Me Impotent?’ Villagers Question, Say No To Vaccine
- Split Of Votes Between Congress-led Front, AJP-RD Saved BJP's Skin
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- NC Condemns Israeli 'Atrocities' On Palestinians
- The Dravidian Wall: Patience, Experience Paid Off For DMK’s Stalin
- Modi’s War Against Covid: From ‘Timely & Tough’ to ‘Worrying’
- Column| Vaccine Patent Waiver: Responsible Play, Go With India
- Column: Some Oxygen For Siddique Kappan, Please?
- Nurses: Covid Warriors And Real Bravehearts
- Can Thakur Fill In For Pandya - India Bowling Coach Has His Say
- Saina, Srikanth's Olympic Hopes Over