The prestigious M S Swaminathan award, given for undertaking outstanding work in the field of agriculture, was jointly conferred on two scientists Dr R Sai Kumar and Dr N Shobha Rani here today for the contribution in their respective fields.
While Dr R Sai Kumar is the Director of Directorate of Maize Research, at ICAR (Indian Council for Agriculture Research), Dr N Shobha Rani is the Principal Scientist & Head, Crop Improvement Section at Directorate of Rice Research.
Dr R Sai Kumar was nominated for outstanding work done by him as a maize breeder in the development and release of 14 maize hybrids and varieties and Dr N Shobha Rani was nominated for the M S Swaminathan award for her outstanding contribution to Genetic Enhancement of Basmati and other Quality rice varieties that lead to higher productivity, the statement said.
The award, which carries a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh, a medal and a citation, was presented by Dr Jayaprakash Narayan, MLA and president of Loksatta Party and Dr William Dar, Director General of ICRISAT.
The award was jointly presented today by the Retired Indian Council for Agriculture Research Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds, India's largest seed company, a statement from Nuziveedu Seeds said.
MVS Sastry, President, RICAREA said, the work done by the two outstanding scientists have significantly helped in increasing the production of maize and rice in the country.
"We are really proud to be presenting this award to them. It reflects the spirit of innovation and hard work that is put by the agricultural scientists in the country, which will definitely have a long term impact in ensuring the food security of the nation apart from providing significant economic gains to farmers and the economy as a whole," Sastry said.
Mandava Prabhakar Rao, Chairman and Managing Director, Nuziveedu Seeds Private Ltd, which sponsors the awards, said, "We are very proud to be associated with such a prestigious award because as a company, we place a great deal of importance in the role of innovation in furthering the agricultural future of this country."
M S Swaminathan Award Conferred on 2 Scientists
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Nobel Prize In Medicine Awarded To Scientists For Hepatitis C Virus Discovery
- Air Chief Marshal On Eastern Border Standoff: China Can’t Get Better Of Us
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- RCB Vs DC: Battle Of Equals In Dubai
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed In Terrorist Attack In Kashmir’s Pampore
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal
- RCB Captain Virat Kohli All Set To Create Massive Indian Record
- Delhi Riots: Umar Khalid Sent To 14 Days Judicial Custody
- IAF Well Positioned To Deal With Any Threat: Air Chief RKS Bhadauria
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Hathras Case: Protests Staged At Times Square
- EPL Champions Liverpool Concede Seven Goals For First Time In 57 Years