The prestigious M S Swaminathan award, given for undertaking outstanding work in the field of agriculture, was jointly conferred on two scientists Dr R Sai Kumar and Dr N Shobha Rani here today for the contribution in their respective fields.
While Dr R Sai Kumar is the Director of Directorate of Maize Research, at ICAR (Indian Council for Agriculture Research), Dr N Shobha Rani is the Principal Scientist & Head, Crop Improvement Section at Directorate of Rice Research.
Dr R Sai Kumar was nominated for outstanding work done by him as a maize breeder in the development and release of 14 maize hybrids and varieties and Dr N Shobha Rani was nominated for the M S Swaminathan award for her outstanding contribution to Genetic Enhancement of Basmati and other Quality rice varieties that lead to higher productivity, the statement said.
The award, which carries a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh, a medal and a citation, was presented by Dr Jayaprakash Narayan, MLA and president of Loksatta Party and Dr William Dar, Director General of ICRISAT.
The award was jointly presented today by the Retired Indian Council for Agriculture Research Employees Association (RICAREA) and Nuziveedu Seeds, India's largest seed company, a statement from Nuziveedu Seeds said.
MVS Sastry, President, RICAREA said, the work done by the two outstanding scientists have significantly helped in increasing the production of maize and rice in the country.
"We are really proud to be presenting this award to them. It reflects the spirit of innovation and hard work that is put by the agricultural scientists in the country, which will definitely have a long term impact in ensuring the food security of the nation apart from providing significant economic gains to farmers and the economy as a whole," Sastry said.
Mandava Prabhakar Rao, Chairman and Managing Director, Nuziveedu Seeds Private Ltd, which sponsors the awards, said, "We are very proud to be associated with such a prestigious award because as a company, we place a great deal of importance in the role of innovation in furthering the agricultural future of this country."
M S Swaminathan Award Conferred on 2 Scientists
THE LATEST ISSUE
- As Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma Finally Lives His Dream
- Lockdown In Delhi Extended Till May 17: Arvind Kejriwal
- ‘I Would Like To Play Women Who Are Irresponsible': Konkona Sen
- 'Have Lost Courage’: YouTuber Rahul Vohra Dies Hours After Predicting His Death On Facebook
- Tamil Nadu's New Health Minister MA Subramanian Is Also A Marathon Runner
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Led By Debutants Why Indian Cricket Is On Top Of The World
- Cong Leader Mallikarjun Kharge Urges PM Modi To Hold All-Party Meeting
- Talks For National Alliance Of Opposition Parties To Start Soon: Raut
- As India Battles The Virus, Let Us Not Weaken National Resolve
- Sikh Body Provides Oxygen Concentrators To Covid Patients
- Youth Congress President Steps Into Sonu Sood’s Shoes
- How India’s Top Sports Institution Let Covid Breach Elite Training Camps
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Record-equalling Sixth Spanish Grand Prix
- T20 World Cup Could Be Postponed Or Shifted From India: Ian Chappell