Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today said it is the subsidy leakage that makes him lose his "sleep", and not the quantum of subsidy itself.
"I lose my sleep not when I look at the volume of quantum of subsidy, but because it is not reaching to the poor and needy and targetted group," Mukherjee said, while talking about subsidy leakages.
Speaking at an event organised by Oriental Bank of Commerce here today, Mukherjee said that various financial inclusion programmes for extending banking facility to rural population and the Aadhaar project (of providing an unique ID to all citizens) would help in tackling the problem of leakage in the government subsidy for the poor section.
"Banks can play a major role through inclusive programmes like Swabhimaan, and by extending banking facility to a large number of rural population," he said.
"If these subsidies are provided through the banking network, institutional financial networks, the leakage will be reduced substantially," he added.
Earlier this month, Mukherjee had said he was "losing sleep" over mounting subsidy bill, but clarified a few days later that his remarks were made in a lighter vein and Indian economy has the "resilience" to meet any challenge.
"As Finance Minister when I think of the enormity of the subsidies to be provided, I lose my sleep. There is no doubt," he had said at a conference in New Delhi on February 8.
The government had earlier said that its subsidy bill is likely to increase by over Rs 1 lakh crore, over and above the original estimate of Rs 1.34 lakh crore, mainly on account of higher outlay towards fertiliser, food and oil.
Losing Sleep Over Subsidy Leakage: FM
THE LATEST ISSUE
- CBI Takes Over The Investigation Of Hathras Gang-Rape Case
- CSK Vs RCB LIVE: Kohli On Overdrive; Bangalore 155/4 (19)
- '100 Per Cent Victory For BJP In Bengal Polls': Kailash Vijayvargia
- ‘My Petition Against Hate Speech Will Have A Wider Impact’: Brinda Karat
- She, The Dalit: Conspiracy Of Silence And Selective Coverage Of Rapes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- French Open Final: Teen Swiatek Thrashes Kenin To Create History
- Rajasthan: Priest's Family Ends Protest, Performs Last Rites
- North Korea Unveils New Ballistic Missile, Weapons At Military Parade
- Domestic Violence On The Rise, Are Men Putting More Pressure On Women?
- Stubble Burning, Pollution, And Politics
- Will Religious Nationalism Challenge India's Leadership Potential?
- AUS Vs IND: India's Request For Shorter Quarantine Likely To Be Rejected
- Ahead Of Festive Season, Retailers Stay Cautiously Optimistic