Father coined the word 'Lokpal' way back in 1963 and his son now heads the Standing Committee of Parliament which is entrusted with the job of looking into the Lokpal Bill against corruption.
It was L M Singhvi, a young independent member of Lok Sabha, who for the first time on April 3, 1963, while participating in a debate suggested the word Lokpal, which was the Indian version of "ombudsman", a Scandinavian word for a "grievance man".
The interesting piece of information was given in Rajya Sabha by Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley today.
"It is a coincidence that his very distinguished son, Dr Abhishek Manu Singhvi, now has to prepare the final draft of this bill.
"I am sure, he will keep in mind the great heritage, not only his personal, but also of this concept, and strengthen the Bill in order to maintain this very strong heritage as far as this Bill is concerned," Jaitley said.
The Lokpal Bill was first introduced in 1968 by then Home Minister Y B Chavan. Jaitley said it was even passed by the Lok Sabha in 1969.
The concept of Lokpal was first brought out in 1966 by Administrative Reforms Commission which recommended the establishment of a Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill.
Jaitley said even the concept of Citizens Charter or public grievances is not a new system. This was also a part of the 1968 bill introduced by Chavan.
L M Singhvi was an Indian jurist and diplomat was elected to Rajya Sabha (1998–2004) as a BJP member.
Lokpal: Father Coins Name, Son Prepares Final Draft
THE LATEST ISSUE
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- MI Vs SRH LIVE: De Kock Thwarts Hyderabad; Mumbai 90/2 (10)
- 'Be Back Soon,' 'Next Few Days Are Real Test': Trump
- UP CM Orders CBI Probe; Rahul, Priyanka Meet Hathras Victim's Family
- Bihar Assembly Elections 2020: BJP, JD(U) Reach Seat-Sharing Agreement
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Rahul Gandhi’s Tractor Rally Against Farm Laws Begins Today In Punjab
- When The Impact Players Misfire
- Another Mahagathbandhan Ally Quits At Patna Press Conference
- Durga Puja During Coronavirus Pandemic
- "If The Girl Said On Her Deathbed That She Was Raped, Then That's The Truth"..
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- First Case Of Match-Fixing Approach Surfaces In IPL