LJP today made a strong pitch for early introduction of a Bill in Parliament to ensure promotion for SC/ST candidates in government job and said any further delay in this matter will adversely impact a large section of population.
"We strongly demand that the government should without any delay introduce the necessary bill in the Parliament to ensure reservation in promotion for SC/ST and put it to vote so that what is rightfully due to SC/ST is ensured in the future," LJP chief and Rajya Sabha Member Ramvilas Paswan told reporters here.
Accusing the Congress-led UPA government of resorting to various tactics to delay the Bill, he said, "The Bill has been amended several times to ensure due benefits to SC/ST but during the eight-year-long tenure of UPA government, nothing has been done to take up this issue."
As representatives of the SC community, we have met the Prime Minister six times in last seven years but we got only empty promises, Paswan alleged.
LJP had recently participated in an all-party meeting convened by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to build a consensus on this issue.
While most of the political parties agreed for a detailed discussion on the issue, Samajwadi Party opposed it.
"What is the need for calling an all-party meeting on this issue? It did not happen before previous amendments on it. Congress perhaps is trying to project itself as a little more democratic than other," Paswan said.
Asked how the Bill will be presented when the opposition has decided to stall the Parliament demanding resignation of Prime Minister on allocation of coal blocks issue, he said, "It will start functioning sooner or latter but before that we must make our views clear on this issue."
LJP Demands SC/ST Job Promotion Quota
READ MORE IN:
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Coronavirus Live Updates: India's Positive Cases Mount To 3577, Death Toll Reaches 83
- Bizarre Ways Of Sanitising Migrants: Spraying Bleach, Sleeping On Banyan Trees!
- 26,000 Quarantined As 10 Attendees Of Funeral Feast Contract COVID-19 In MP
- Too Early To Pat Ourselves On Back. Prepared For Any Eventuality: Odisha's COVID-19 Point Person
- How Drop In Crude Oil Price Due To Coronavirus Pandemic Benefits India
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- India Reports 505 New Covid-19 Cases In 24 Hrs, Total Count Reaches 3,577
- No Evidence Of Coronavirus Being Airborne Yet, Says ICMR
- Amitabh Bachchan To Provide Ration To 1 Lakh Workers
- Man Skips Mother's Funeral To Feed Poor Hit By COVID-19 Lockdown
- PM Modi Dials Sonia Gandhi, Former Presidents To Discuss Coronavirus
- 'While Amethi MP Plays Antakshari...': Congress' Dig At Smriti Irani; She Retorts
- India Submits Official Bid For Hosting AFC Asian Cup In 2027
- Yuvraj Singh Compares Rohit Sharma To Inzamam-Ul-Haq