US' just retired top military commander Admiral Mike Mullen, whose remarks on ISI's links to the Haqqani network had recently kicked up a storm in Pakistan, said today the association was "very well-known" and but Islamabad needs to sever it.
"Haqqani is the most virulent, insurgent, terrorist group in Pakistan and a great supporter of al Qaeda. We're losing Afghan civilians, Afghan soldiers, and we're losing American soldiers because of the Haqqani network," Mullen, the just retired Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CNN in an interview.
Mullen said the ISI-Haqqani connection was not a new phenomenon and he did not expect it to end overnight, but a "concerted effort" was needed to be made towards finishing off these links.
"The link between the Pakistan military and specifically the ISI, their intelligence agency, is very well-known. And I have argued for the need to sever this link. That also has to do with getting control of that safe haven. That's not a new discussion. It's not a new issue. It's long lasting," Mullen said when asked why he went public only now against the ISI and its links with the Haqqani network.
"But the intensity of the recent events and the strategic support that the ISI and the Pakistani military both give to the Haqqani network directly and indirectly, is what I was focused on," Mullen said in defence of his remarks before the Senate Armed Services Committee last month where he said that ISI used the Haqqani network as a veritable arm.
He said as a military leader and as somebody who feels responsible for 2.2 million men and women in uniform, he could not "tolerate anymore" the actions of the Haqqani network "to literally kill my people".
Links Between ISI, Haqqani Network Well Known: Mullen
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Live Updates: Leaders Pay Last Respect To Arun Jaitley, Funeral Procession Begins
- Obituary | Arun Jaitley: Every Non-BJP Person’s Favourite BJP Person
- PM Modi Meets Bahraini Crown Prince, Conferred 'The King Hamad Order Of The Renaissance'
- '..We End Up With Our Voice Being Taken Away': IAS Officer Hailed For Role In Kerala Floods Quits
- Spilling The Beans: How Murky Was Cafe Coffee Day Founder VG Siddartha's Death
- Kashmiris Are Angry, Yet They Are Calm. Why?
- Indian Armed Forces, Civilians Continue To Bleed In Internal Conflicts, But Do We Care?
- On India's 73rd Independence Day, A Letter to Pehlu Khan
- The Valley Has Fallen Into Rigor Mortis
- BBC, Northern Ireland, And Kashmir – Where Shekhar Kapur Got It Wrong
- Euphoria On Abrogation Of Article 370 Is Wearing Off, Only Time Will Tell Full Meaning Of This Move
- How Arun Jaitley Played A Key Role In Making Nitish Kumar The Bihar CM
- Nothing More 'Anti-National' Than Shutting Down Of Democratic Rights In Kashmir: Priyanka Gandhi
- PM Modi Gives Nationwide Call To Observe September As 'Poshan Abhiyaan'
- Naresh Goyal Created Tax Evading Schemes To Siphon Off Funds Abroad: ED
- I Am Disappointed With Myself: KL Rahul
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi Calls For Mass Movement Against Plastic Waste From October 2
- World Badminton: PV Sindhu, Kento Momota Eye Titles In Basel
- NASA Investigating First Crime Committed In Space: Report