Amid hectic negotiations between India and the US to wrap up the nuclear reprocessing pact, former US Ambassador David Mulford has said linking this issue with the signing of NPT by India will be "very inconsistent" with the understanding reached between the two countries.
Mulford said the 45-nation Nuclear Suppliers Group had given the waiver to India for doing nuclear commerce knowing that New Delhi would not sign the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a position that favours India's stand on the issue.
"I think it would be very inconsistent if for some reason there is a certain demand that India should have to sign the NPT because the entire deal, as you said, was predicated not only by the US but by the all the players who eventually came to a 45-nation (NSG) consensus," Mulford told Karan Thapar on CNBC TV18.
Implementation of the 123 Agreement in terms of contracts between companies of the two countries is yet to take place as the US is seeking an assurances on non- proliferation from India.
Mulford, who was a key member of the US administration that negotiated the civil nuclear deal with India, said if such a demand came then it would not be logical in the "context of why and how the deal was done".
Access was given to India to the world of civil nuclear commerce with a de-facto recognition that the nuclear weapons existed in this country and that it would not sign the NPT, he said.
'Linking Reprocessing Pact with NPT will be Inconsistent'
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Clueless Cong Stumbles From One Poll Defeat To Another
- Cong To Form Fact-Finding Team To Analyse Poll Debacle
- Bihar: Corpses Of Suspected Covid-19 Victims Found Floating In Ganga River
- 1st Priority Is To Contain Covid: CM Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Users Who Don’t Accept New Privacy Terms Won’t Be Able To Receive Calls: WhatsApp
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- 'Sushil Has Tarnished Wrestling's Image,' LOC Served After Murder
- Beed: Govt To Probe Discrepancy In Covid Deaths As Funerals Rise
- India's Battle Against Covid: Grim Reaper Stalks The Land
- Lancet Slams Modi Govt for Stoking a ‘Self-Inflicted National Catastrophe’
- Why High Antibody Doesn’t Guarantee Protection From Covid
- Can You Get Covid After Vaccination?
- RSS- BJP Tussle Behind Kerala Poll Drubbing?
- Virat Kohli, Ishant Sharma Get First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine