India today said all its 18,000 nationals in Libya are safe but issued an advisory asking citizens to avoid non-essential travel to that country which is being rocked by unprecedented protests against the Moammar Gadhafi regime that reportedly left nearly 100 people dead.
"All Indians, numbering around 18,000, are safe in Libya. We are following the situation closely. Presently, disturbances have mainly been reported in north-eastern region of Benghazi, Derna, Baida and Turbuk," the official spokesperson of the Ministry of External Affairs said.
He said in view of the prevailing situation, Indian nationals are advised to avoid non-essential travel to Libya, for the present.
He also said the Indian embassy in Tripoli has set up a round-the-clock control room, which can be contacted for information and assistance.
Protesters in Libya have been demanding ouster of Gadhafi, who has been in power for 42 years. According to rights groups, security forces have reportedly killed nearly 100 anti-regime protesters in the last one week.
Libyan Unrest: India Issues Travel Advisory
THE LATEST ISSUE
- How Vaccines Work And React On Different Body Types
- Bihar: 71 Corpses Recovered From Ganga
- 26 Covid Patients Die At Goa Govt Hospital
- Bengal Polls: Widespread Fear Of BJP's Agenda Torpedoed Its Chances
- China’s Wolf Warrior Warns Bangladesh Against Joining The Quad
- Born April 18, Died April 20: The Spectacular Fall Of European Super League And Its Aftermath
- India In England: Prithvi Shaw Unlucky, Hardik Pandya Needs To Prove All-rounder Credentials
- Online Real Money Gaming: Why Present Is Imperfect And Future Is Tense
- For IPL Organisers, Loss Of Revenue Seems More Important Than Loss Of Lives Due To COVID
- Why Should Boys Have All The Fun? Sports For One And All!
- Why Virat Kohli Is Right And ICC Wrong: A Philosopher Looks At DRS
- Paradigm Shift: Punjab Farmers Welcome Direct Payment System
- 32-Year-Old Garbage Collector Who Skipped Jab, Dies Of Covid In Shimla
- What Is Mucormycosis?
- AMU Doctor Dies Of Covid, Toll Of Staff Succumbing To Virus Rises To 35
- Payworld To Assist Rural Folks With Covid Vaccine Registration
- Assam Gets Its First Woman Finance Minister As Sarma Distributes Portfolios
- Why Team India Will Take Covishield?
- Sania Mirza's Fight With Depression