The family of noted Gandhian L C Jain has declined to accept the Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian honour for which he was chosen posthumously.
Jain, known as a fierce opponent of "overwhelming" state control, was selected for the coveted award this year posthumously.
Sources said Jain's family members and several NGOs said the late Gandhian was against accepting state honours.
Jain, a recipient of the Magsaysay Award, breathed his last on November 14 last year at the age of 85.
President Pratibha Patil gave away 61 Padma awards at a function at Rashtrapati Bhawan this evening.
Another investiture ceremony is scheduled to be held on April 1 to honour the remaining 66 awardees. This year the President has approved 128 awards.
LC Jain's Family Declines Padma Vibhushan
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Nobel Prize In Medicine Awarded To Scientists For Hepatitis C Virus Discovery
- Air Chief Marshal On Eastern Border Standoff: China Can’t Get Better Of Us
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- RCB Vs DC: Battle Of Equals In Dubai
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed In Terrorist Attack In Kashmir’s Pampore
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal
- RCB Captain Virat Kohli All Set To Create Massive Indian Record
- Delhi Riots: Umar Khalid Sent To 14 Days Judicial Custody
- IAF Well Positioned To Deal With Any Threat: Air Chief RKS Bhadauria
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Hathras Case: Protests Staged At Times Square
- EPL Champions Liverpool Concede Seven Goals For First Time In 57 Years