Impressed with their consistent showings in the tournament so far, former Pakistan coach Geoff Lawson today backed Shahid Afridi and his men to emerge winners in the much-anticipated World Cup semi-final against India.
"Pakistan have played some good cricket, their guys look really good... And it could be a Pakistan-New Zealand final" Lawson, who coached Pakistan for 15 months since July 2007, told reporters here.
Pakistan, who thrashed West Indies by ten wickets in the quarter-final, are set to take on India in a high-voltage clash in Mohali on Wednesday, while New Zealand play Sri Lanka in the other semi-final a day earlier.
Lawson, who is presently the coach of Indian Premier League team Kochi Tuskers, pointed out that Pakistan had defeated India in Mohali in 2007.
The former Australian speedster, who succeeded Bob Woolmer as Pakistan's coach in July 2007, was sacked before his two-year contract ended, despite leading the team to the final of the inaugural ICC World T20 in South Africa.
Lawson also called for Australian captain Ricky Ponting to be replaced, saying it was time for "fresh leadership".
Though he described Ponting as a "fantastic player" and one of the "greatest batsmen of all time", Lawson said "It is time for a new captain."
Australia lost to India in the quarter-final of the World Cup last week.
Lawson Predicts Pakistan-New Zealand Final
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hundreds Of Pets Abandoned In Mumbai After WHO Hoardings On COVID-19 Trigger Panic
- Hit By Coronavirus Lockdown, 90-Year-Old Kajodi Trudges Home, 400 Km Away
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 65-Yr-Old Man With Travel History To Delhi Dies In Karnataka
- RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4% Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- 'No One To Sleep Hungry': Kejriwal Announces Meals For 4 Lakh People Amid Lockdown
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus: Stop Mass Exodus Of Labourers, MHA Asks States Amid Lockdown
- The Delhi Cop Who Looks After 350 Poor Families Amid Covid-19 Lockdown
- 'RBI Took Giant Steps To Save Economy From Coronavirus Impact': PM Modi
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Prasar Bharati To Re-run 'Ramayan' From Mar 28
- Coronavirus: Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots – REPORT
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- US Has Now Most Positive Coronavirus Cases In World; Overtakes China, Italy
- Tendulkar Donates 50 Lakh To Fight COVID-19